Using LTI at Course Level

Using LTI at Course Level

by Tish Kirkland -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to provide a course using LTI. I assume it is, because I can save as a Course under "LTI Provider: list of tools provided>add>Tool to be provided" and Moodle Docs says "This is a local plugin for making Moodle a LTI provider tool. It can be use to provide access to full courses or activities from remote systems (other Moodle installations, Sakai, any LMS LTI consumer compliant)".

I have the LTI Provider plugin, and a client who has their own Moodle and wants to use my course.

I have added my Course to my LTI Provider "list of tools provided", but I cannot figure out how to provide this course for client's Moodle site. I can't find where in "Add a new course" I should put the LTI information.

Any advice is gratefully accepted and appreciated.

Thank you.

NB I'm using Moodle 2.5 and my client is using 2.6.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tish Kirkland

Re: Using LTI at Course Level

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you used the Local LTI plugin on your site you should get 3 items:  A url, a key, and a password.  (Forgive me if the words do not match up exactly I am doing this from memory).  

Your partner must first create a course normally.  

Then go to Add Activity and select the "external tool".  In the settings for the external tool it will ask for the key and shared secret as well as the Launch URL.  Again this is found on the Local LTI settings when you shared your entire course.  

Once she plugs in all the information for the external tool just save and return to course.  There should now be a single link.  Click on that.  It should now display your entire course.

This is a very simplified version of the process.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Tish Kirkland -

Great! Thank you. It worked! smile

Next question... when setting up LTI, I selected to hide the blocks, headers, and footers.

This worked, but now my original site has no headers, footers, or blocks - including Admin block. I'm at a bit of a loss now because I can't navigate anywhere on my site. Even if I click on 'Home' in the top horizontal navigation bar it just takes me back to the same course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Tish Kirkland -

I think I have worked this out: when logged into the client's site with my Tool open on that site, I was automatically logged in as my role on that site (Non-Editing Teacher), rather than my usual role of Admin on my site. This also affected my role on my own website, which was open in another tab. Fortunately I was able to log in as my normal Admin role on another computer and edit my Tool's settings from there.

From this I have learned:

• It's a good idea to keep a second browser open (e.g. Firefox & Safari) and be logged into each (Tool through client's site and own website) using different roles
  • I highly recommend not ticking the "hide blocks" option when creating your Tool unless you have done the above or can access your site from another computer

Thanks for your help and support. I'm sure I will have more questions as I delve more into this. wink

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Glad you worked it out.  The one area I had not been able to tackle fully was the passing of grades between sites.  I am not sure if that fully works or not.  I assume it does.  

We mainly use LTI just for SSO to other activities such as Wordpress or Chemvantage.  

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Mirko Marras -

As described in the posts above, the application of LTI specification provides course sharing as an activity within another course. I think it is useful to use this specification to create a system that allows you to share courses of a Moodle platform A to appear in the Moodle platform B, probably within a category "Remote Courses". You also want to support the display and storage of course data in a transparent manner between this two Moodles, as if the course is really provided by Moodle platform B.

I would like to ask if someone is already working in this direction or if you have any idea on how to proceed.