Footer in pages module

Footer in pages module

by Saeed Amiri -
Number of replies: 7

Hi

I'm using moodle v. 2.6 and Theme Essential. I have made some changes to the theme so that the footer now sticks to the bottom of the page regardless of how much content there is in that page. But, for whatever reason,  it does not do so in pages I have made with "page module". Using firebug, I get the following when I'm, for instance, on login page. (And that's when the footer stays at the bottom)

<head>
<body>
<div id="wrap">
     <div class="skiplinks">
     <script type="text/javascript">
     <header id="page-header" class="clearfix">
     <header class="navbar" role="banner">
     <div id="page" class="container-fluid">
     <script type="text/javascript">
     <div id="push"></div>
</div>
<div id="footer"></div>

</body>
</html>

But upon navigating to a path such as http://mywebsitedomain/mod/page/view.php?id=12, I have the following:

<html>
<head>
<body>
<div id="wrap">

<div class="skiplinks">
     <script type="text/javascript"></div>
     <div id="wrap”>
          <header id="page-header" class="clearfix">
          <header class="navbar navbar" role="banner">
          <div id="page" class="container-fluid">
          <div id="push"></div>
     </div>

<div id="footer"></div>

</div>
</body>
</html>

As you see in case of the second I have two <div id="wrap">. Why is this so, do you think? What makes view.php show such strange behaviour.

Any ideas would be appreaciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Saeed Amiri

Re: Footer in pages module

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Saeed,

I can't see a div id="wrap" anywhere in Essential itself using firebug, so how have you added it to your layouts? The issue will be somewhere in how you have added that div I suspect.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Saeed Amiri -

Hi Richard

Thanks for replying.

Yes, Essential does not include div id="wrap". I added that for the mentioned purpose. I changed columns 1,2,3 (and did not change frontpage.php, of course, as It does not have such a problem) as follows:

<head>
</head>

<div id="wrap">
<body <?php echo $OUTPUT->body_attributes($bodyclasses); ?>>
<?php echo $OUTPUT->standard_top_of_body_html() ?>
</script>
<div id="push"></div>
</div>

<div id="footer">
<div class="container-fluid">
<?php require_once(dirname(__FILE__).'/includes/footer.php'); ?> 
</div>
</div>

</div>

</body>
</html>

I had to change the css file too, of course:

html,
body {
height: 100%;
}

#wrap {
min-height: 100%;
height: auto !important;
height: 100%;
margin: 0 auto -60px;
}

#push,
#footer{
height: 60px;
margin-right: 120px;
margin-left: 120px;
}
#footer {
background-color: #000000;
text-align: center;
}
#footer .copy {
color: #FFFFFF;
}

Regards

Saeed

In reply to Saeed Amiri

by Saeed Amiri -

All right. Problem is solved. I had two instances of <div id="wrap"> in one of my columns.php files. Now I have the footer in all my pages attached to the bottom. Thank you Richard for making me suspicious of the layout files. the hint made me review the files again.

In reply to Saeed Amiri

by deborah chitester -

took me a while to get in here. i have limited amount of time. in response to how i act, i have been treated very badly in these forums in general not nec here but linked in. My issue is ihave worked very hard like a dog to create my buisiness which is impt for social good and can find no solution for learning moodle and joomla to support it or accessing a realistic option for getting my business under way as it deserves in so far as i remain with no ability to work in joomla and moodle. I can find no committed, person to help me . most of what i find tries to change me to something else or some other motive. is there anything out there that assumes no knowledge and is e learning oriented? thank you. I ask to be treated nicely this is part of the reason i act as i do i expect the worst.

In reply to deborah chitester

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Deborah, 

These forums are all volunteer based and any assistance or response that you get here are from people just wanting to help others.  Sometimes it is very hard for us if people are vague about what their issue is as we are all time crunched and don't always have the time to try and guess at a solution without knowing a very specific problem. 

I actually responded to you on LinkedIn, was given your ex's number to call and he never responded. I also remember it being very hard to assertion exactly what help you need but I do remember you needing Joomla help which I did not have experience in at the time.  However, I do now have Joomla experience and have implemented Joomla and Moodle so feel qualified to offer assistance.  I have a new endeavor offering support. If you are interested, please submit a request at www.edconsulting.org.  

Emma

In reply to deborah chitester

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Deborah - Im not trying to be awkward, Im trying to get you the help you want.

You say you were treated badly on LinkedIn - that's not my recollection of the discussion! You were asked for information about the issue and referred those asking to your ex without giving any details yourself.

Community driven forums are there to help and are full of people for whom that is their reason for being here. BUT, those people need information to work on to help you rather than a generic, 'help I don't know what I'm doing'.

They also rely on people following a variety of rules for forum posting - call it etiquette, rather than rules if you like - such as not hijacking other discussions for something unrelated to the original thread and not scattering your posts across multiple discussions.

It is straightforward in these forums to start your own thread with your own information and needs in order to ask for specific help.

At the moment the only conclusion I have been able to draw from your posts on here and previously on LinkedIn is that you can't manage your Joomla/Moodle website, you want someone to teach you how/do it for you, but you want them not to charge you for it because your business will fold without the help.

Deborah, Im not trying to be difficult or to treat you 'badly' but to suggest how to ask for the help you want in ways that are more likely to get you the results you need.

So - can I suggest:

1. Make a new thread in an appropriate forum, rather than tacking onto someone else's discussion

2. Tell us how your site is currently structured - Moodle (what version), Joomla (what version) how are they linked now (Joomdle etc) or are they two separate sites at teh moment and you want to link them?

3. What EXACTLY do you need/want to be able to do and what are the problems you are having - if there are many of them, break it down - different community members are experts in different areas and between us all can provide help for just about anything you need, if we know what that need is.

4. Bear in mind that you are the one asking - community volunteers dont then want to be told to contact a third party for the information - if the third party wants the help they need to ask for it, if you want the help, you really need to be prepared to give the information the helpers need. If the third party controls the website (as seemed to be the implication in the LinkedIn discussion) and doesn't want the help, there is nothing/very little anyone in this community can do.

If what you are really after is a volunteer to look after your site then come out and say that - there may well be someone around who is prepared to do exactly that for a good cause, many of us do for various charities, friends' businesses and so on. But what you will definitely find is a supportive community who bend over backwards to help people - but you have to give some direction for that help in the first place!

I hope that, along with Emma's offer, can help you start to find the help you obviously are desperate for.

Richard