Moodle Assignment activity has stopped sending email notifications when students submit their assignments

Moodle Assignment activity has stopped sending email notifications when students submit their assignments

by Mari Cruz García -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

We use Moodle 2.2 and one of our module leads has just notified me that he does not receive any email notifications when students submit new assignments.

I checked that myself and it is true.

I thought that Moodle assignment may use lib/phpmailer code to send emails and checked that our SMTP mailserver is working fine.

However, after looking into the assignment activity in more detail, I have noticed that, when I run admin/cron.php, there is a call to the function function assignment_cron () {

that '* Finds all assignment notifications that have yet to be mailed out, and mails them'

I understand that this function does not send any email notifications when they are older than a day:

/// Notices older than 1 day will not be mailed.  This is to avoid the problem where
    /// cron has not been running for a long time, and then suddenly people are flooded
    /// with mail from the past few weeks or months

$timenow   = time();
    $endtime   = $timenow - $CFG->maxeditingtime;
    $starttime = $endtime - 24 * 3600;   /// One day earlier

The server has the right date and time and I tried different emails accounts to receive my submissions (University, gmail, etc), to make sure that the problem was not caused by any change of settings in the University mailserver, which is hosted in Outlook.com.

This is an extremely weird problem and I wonder if somebody else may have experience it.

Regards,

Mari Cruz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mari Cruz García

Re: Moodle Assignment activity has stopped sending email notifications when students submit their assignments

by ben reynolds -

We ran into this on 2.2. Single file and multiple file uploads would not send notifications unless we turned on "submit for marking." The problem with that is training students to his the submit button. We solved by going to 2.4.

In reply to ben reynolds

Re: Moodle Assignment activity has stopped sending email notifications when students submit their assignments

by Mari Cruz García -

Hello Ben,

I thought that that may be the problem but I have made tests logging as the student and pressing on the buton 'submit for marking'.

Regards,

Mari Cruz