Statistics and Random Questions

Statistics and Random Questions

by curt bixel -
Number of replies: 1

I often create a question bank of about 30 questions, and then create a 10 question quiz that pulls questions randomly form the 30 question bank.  Once my several classes of students have taken the quiz, I like to go back over the quiz with them, focusing first on the most often missed questions, as revealed in the quiz statistics.  

Unfortunately, when I am on the statistics page, and it seems that one question was missed quite often, when I click the "preview" button for the specific question, it is not behaving as I expected.  Instead of displaying the question that was most often missed, it seems to display a random question.  Subsequent clicks on the "preview" button result in different random questions being displayed.  

I had hoped that the statistics function would associate the statistics with a particular question, but that does not seem to be the case.  

Is there a solution to this?  I really want to be able to give a randomly shuffled and randomly selected test, and with 150 students, even if each of the 30 questions is only taken be 50 students, that is enough of a statistical base to identify questions that deserve discussion.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to identify those questions with the statistics function.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to curt bixel

Re: Statistics and Random Questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@curt, unfortunately you do not say which version of Moodle you are using.

Using latest Moodle version available (2.6) I do not see the problem you mention. The Statistics page does give detailed information about the questions which were answered (in a quiz consisting entirely of random questions).

Instead of displaying the question that was most often missed, it seems to display a random question.  Subsequent clicks on the "preview" button result in different random questions being displayed. "

Please provide screenshots so we can actually see what you are talking about. Thanks!

Joseph