2.6, new random questions in second attempt

2.6, new random questions in second attempt

by Isabelle Langeveld -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all,

I have been searching the docs and forum for a clear answer to this question: If I

• set up a question bank with 60 questions
  • and I set up the quiz to pull 20 Q's out of the bank
  • and allow the user 2 attempts

Can I be sure that the second attempt shows 20 different questions?

I found different answers.

1. Forumpost: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=190597 Says you have to create a different category for each attempt
  2. http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Building_Quiz

Adding a random question

As long as you have questions in the question bank, you can add random questions to your quiz. This might be useful if you have students in a class taking a quiz at the same time, because they are unlikely to get the same questions at the same time. The same question will never appear twice in a quiz. If you include several random questions then different questions will always be chosen for each of them. If you mix random questions with non-random questions then the random questions will be chosen so that they do not duplicate one of the non-random questions. This does imply that you need to provide enough questions in the category from which the random questions are chosen, otherwise the student will be shown a friendly error message. The more questions you provide the more likely it will be that students get different questions on each attempt.

3. http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Quiz_setting

Attempts allowed

Students may be allowed to have multiple attempts at a quiz. This can help make the process of taking the quiz more of an educational activity rather than simply an assessment. If the quiz is randomized then the student will get a new version for each attempt. This is useful for practice purposes.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Isabelle Langeveld

Re: 2.6, new random questions in second attempt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I believe it is just random, not a random selection of questions that has not been presented to that student before. This means you could get the same questions again. 

In reply to Marcus Green

by Isabelle Langeveld -

Tnx for your answer, but it would be so great if somebody would give certainty. Who would give a '3' (See Certainty Based Marking wink

In reply to Isabelle Langeveld

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That is correct. Each time an attempt is started, a new random selection is made, so there may be some overlaps with the first attempt.

(The may get changed one day.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Isabelle Langeveld -

Thanks, Tim, that's a clear answer. Would indeed be great if that can be solved