API for adding external tools

API for adding external tools

by Ryan Nelson -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I would like to automatically create an external tool link in Moodle to an LTI tool (as opposed to using the UI).  I don't see an API to do this.  Do you have any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Thanks,

Ryan Nelson

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Nelson

Re: API for adding external tools

by John Andrewartha -

Hi Ryan,

Why do you NOT want to use the UI in Moodle for LTI?  It would seem at a glance reinventing the wheel to have to write more code for that, that already exists.

Keep in mind the UI as well as the presentation also, reports back, IE Grades, who was there ... .

In reply to John Andrewartha

Re: API for adding external tools

by Ryan Nelson -

Thanks, John.

We are writing some software that will integrate with several different LMS's, of which Moodle is only one.  Customers of our product should not need to interact with the LMS directly in order to create external tools.

The only way I've seen that looks possible is to directly invoke the modedit.php script which appears to create the external tool link, but that's really a brittle workaround.  Alternatively, I suppose a custom-written plugin might be able to do this as well, but would also be a lot of work.  I was simply wondering if there was something I'd missed.  Maybe an exposed API that would do this?

Ryan