Hidden roles - is there an easier way?

Hidden roles - is there an easier way?

by Fiona MacAlister -
Number of replies: 4

I have numerous members of our staff who need to be enrolled, but hidden, within about 300 courses. These members of staff are managers and deans of faculty who, for obvious reasons, don't want to be visible in the course to students. Is there perhaps an easier way of hiding them without doing this manually i.e. through the use of a particular field on the user upload .csv? This was so much easier and simpler when we had the 'hidden user' tickbox in the previous versions. Not sure why this functionality was discontinued.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fiona MacAlister

Re: Hidden roles - is there an easier way?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. Please look at Other users

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Fiona MacAlister -

Hi Mary

Thanks for this.

I was referring to this method but was hoping that there might be an easier way to do this instead of adding the users manually. We have a fairly large number of these types of users that we need to add to all of the courses which, if you take every category, easily amount to about 1000 courses. This becomes a bit hectic when you have to add about 6-10 hidden users to each course. sad I was hoping that the problem might be resolved through the use of the user upload .csv file.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think that you could create a role that had the permissions as such as it was hidden and then you could use the csv file to enroll them into that role.

by ben reynolds -

Fiona,

The point is that you don't have to enroll them in the courses. They can see all the courses by default, as I read the doc.

Previously, this would have been a system wide role (in 1.9) and you would have ticked the invisible button so they were not visible to students (teachers and such could see them in participants), but you would not have needed to manually enroll them in each course.  Other users works the same way.