For Marking - How to view all submissions that require marking

For Marking - How to view all submissions that require marking

by Jane Booth -
Number of replies: 10

Hi - I have a course where there are 5 assignment submission tasks. I would love to know if there's a way that I can see all assignments that require marking at once (rather than going into each separate task). Is there a way?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jane Booth

Re: For Marking - How to view all submissions that require marking

by Velson Horie -

Yes, wouldn't that be useful!, but in 5 years I have not found the way (1.9 and 2.4).  You are lucky, we have 40 items (quizzes and assignments) that each have to be checked every week.  What a waste of time.  In paper days, the work came through the door, was marked and returned. One only ever checked the unmarked work, now every item has to be checked - just in case.

Moodle is not set up for the convenience of tutors and markers.

There is also a disconnect between the development / management teams of the different categories of submissions that seems to prevent any action that spans a number (>1) of categories.

In reply to Jane Booth

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jane,

If you mean one assignment with 5 submissions, then no, I don't know of a way. But if you mean 5 different assignments with separate submissions, then there are two possibilities, depending on your version of Moodle.

One is the Grade Me block that is available for Moodle 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5. I am using it in 2.6. It does have a minor bug in it though that affects the 2.5 version. See https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-4805

The other is the AJAX Marking Block. Versions are available for more versions of Moodle from 1.9 to 2.4. It also has a minor bug...it does'nt remove the notices for forums, even after they are grade. I manually hide them once time expires.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Velson Horie -

Dear Al

Thank you for this information, but as a teacher (one of hundreds using the site), I am not allowed by the site administration to download plugins or change any Moodle software.

What I need is a page that comes up when a marker/tutor logs in, listing all of the work the marker has to do, from answering messages to giving feedback on assignments, and none of the work he does not have to do. At the moment, the course front page comes up.  I have seen that page hundreds of times, I know it all too well, and I rarely need to see it again - I am not a student.

Ideally the marker work page should be configurable, so the work categories can be chosen/ordered by: marker, course, group, student, task, date of submission, all/marked/unmarked etc. A "simple" table would be useful with the rows and columns configurable so that the marker could click on the link in a cell to bring up, say, all quiz 23 unmarked submissions from group VH.

These tools need to be developed and integrated into the core Moodle provision.

In reply to Velson Horie

by ben reynolds -

Really, you need to make friends with whoever is Admin for your site. The  Ajax marking block will do more than you need. It is great. The whole problem is networking with your admin. I've added the block to my localhost version of Moodle, and it works perfectly. Just don't try it as an Admin because Admin is not a teacher and will see nothing.

Also, to my astonishment, Moodle 2.6+ does the same job in My Moodle for Instructors. It tells instructor what they have waiting to be graded in a particular course and when you click on the link, takes you right there.

Velson, advocate strongly for one of these two fixes. They will radically reduce your teachers' work loads!

In reply to AL Rachels

by Jane Booth -

Hi AL - thank you for the information. Could you please tell me where I can download the file for the Grade Me block?

In reply to Jane Booth

by Jane Booth -

Thanks - I tried up upload the plugin but got the following error message. Any help would be appreciated - I'm not that savvy with the back end.

In reply to Jane Booth

by ben reynolds -

Hi Jane,

Which version of this plugin are you using and for which version of Moodle?

I just looked at the one for 2.5, and that file is present. It is just inside the grade_me folder.

I notice there are no instructions for how to install. I am guessing the assumption is to unzip the download and copy the folder "grade_me" into the blocks folder inside the Moodle folder.

In reply to ben reynolds

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jane and Ben,

When you download from Moodle and then extract the latest Grade Me, you get a folder named block_grade_me_moodle25_21013051404. inside it will be another folder named grade_me. The second one is the one you should place into your moodle site blocks folder. Once that is done, go to Site administration > Notifications and the install should start.

You can also use the newer Install Add-ons under Site administrations > Plugins.

AL