Install EasyPhP or Xampp?

Install EasyPhP or Xampp?

by Larry Shield -
Number of replies: 9
Which installation is more appropriate for a school division, or does it really matter?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Shield

Re: Install EasyPhP or Xampp?

by Bob Boufford -

Larry,

There has been some previous discussion on EasyPHP vs XAMPP. I assume since you are asking, you are planning on running Moodle on a Windows system.

I would recommend XAMPP as it's kept more up-to-date, it has additional tools that makes managing Moodle easier and it's available for Windows, Linux, Solaris and Macs.

Once you get it setup and going, XAMPP is fairly transparent. Only requires running two small scripts to get it going as a Windows service.

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by Larry Shield -
Thanks for the quick reply. It is reassuring to know there is a community of users that have opinions and can help!
In reply to Larry Shield

by Timothy Takemoto -
I prefer easy php because I am lazy and it seems that with XAMPP one has to stop and start XAMPP before accessing moodle on "localhost" whereas with easyphp one can simply simply start moodle and easyphp together as if it were a program from the start menu. I have seen Martin recommend XAMP and I am only using the easyphp and moodle on my desktop NOT as a server, for producing content for backup off line.
Timothy
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Bob Boufford -

Timothy,

On Windows 2000 and Windows XP, after XAMPP is installed, just go into the apache folder and click once on the "apache_installservice.bat", then into the mysql folder and click once on the "mysql_installservice.bat". Afterwards, the apache and mysql services startup during bootup of your system. If you want to temporarily stop the services, just put a shortcut to the "Services" control panel on your desktop.

When running from a USB flash drive, the latest versions of XAMPP include a single startup file (xampp-start.exe) that will crank up everything at one time.

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by Timothy Takemoto -

Since I am not running a server, I would not want to use system resources by having XAMPP on all the time, but the xampp-start.exe option sounds cool, thanks. I hope someone is so kind as to make an installation package that allows the same sort of one-click, application-like, execution as presently provided by the easy-php 'desktop moodle' packages currently available.
My recommendation of easy-php is not relevant to Larry since I see he is looking for a server application. 
Timothy

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Bob Boufford -

Timothy,

Just a quick update. I installed XAMPP-Windows 1.4.13 on one of my systems. It now includes an XAMPP Control Panel that will sit in your task bar once started. Not as fancy as the EasyPHP but better than before if you don't want to install XAMPP as a service.

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Larry Shield

by Mark Stevens -
I agree with Bob that XAMPP is "better".

A student recently pointed me to:  http://apache2triad.net/info.php and said it was good, but I haven't had time to look at it.  Anyone use it before?
In reply to Mark Stevens

by J B -
I chose apache2triad over the other two - I can't actually remember why I chose it over XAMPP, but it did seem more versatile than easyphp, and I had no difficulty configuring it to work with postgreSQL. I run a few "test moodles" and php on it.

I am sure that they are all good, but apache2triad works very well for me. As Howard says, a proper LAMP server is the way to go if it fits with institutional policy.