Copying a questionnaire that points to a public questionnaire

Copying a questionnaire that points to a public questionnaire

by Steve Taylor -
Number of replies: 15
I love the ability to set a questionnaire to be public, then create a "client" questionnaire in a second course that refers to it. The data collected from this client questionnaire are stored with the original instance. My problem is that I tried to import that "client" questionnaire into a third course, but that new, third instance was local. That is to say, the data collected from it are stored with that "client," rather than with the original instance. Anyone know of a way around this? I'm trying to find a way to easily replicate a course evaluation questionnaire in all of our course sites, but have them all record their data in a single place.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Taylor

Re: Copying a questionnaire that points to a public questionnaire

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Steve "My problem is that I tried to import that "client" questionnaire into a third course, but that new, third instance was local."

That won't work, as you have found out.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by James Henestofel -

Joseph,

I know you said this doesn't work that way but is there the possibility of building out this functionality?  Just wondering if you have looked at this before and thought either it's too much work or no one really wants this.  I'm inclined to work on this since we want the same thing at our institution if there is a possibility of this working.

In reply to James Henestofel

by Martin LaGrow -

Hi,

Like Joseph, I'm confused at what you are trying to do. It sounds like you are trying to do this:

• Create public questionnaire in course A;
  • Use that questionnaire in course B;
  • Access the questionnaire in course C from course B.

THAT doesn't work. Really what Joseph (and I) think you should be doing is this:

• Create public questionnaire in course A;
  • Use that questionnaire in BOTH course B and C.

Are we misunderstanding?

In reply to Martin LaGrow

by James Henestofel -

This is what I get from what Steve is asking for and it is also what I would like to see.

Course A -> Public questionnaire

Course B -> create new questionnaire linked to public questionnaire so all responses are sent to Course A

Course C -> import content from Course B and have the Course B linked questionnaire stay linked to Course A questionnaire and send all responses to Course A.

Currently, when importing the questionnaire from Course B into Course C it creates ANOTHER public questionnaire that is a direct copy of the questionnaire in Course A but is no longer linked and does not send responses to Course A.

At my institution we are trying to use this as a site-wide Instructor evaluation tool.  We have about 1000 courses a term so just creating a new questionnaire and linking it manually is very tedious for instructors.  Also when they import content into the new terms course it creates a new public questionnaire which I have to change to private so the list when creating a new questionnaire only shows the site-wide public one.

So when importing a publicly linked questionnaire into a new course I need it to stay linked to that original questionnaire.

Hopefully that explains the situation.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for the explanations, James and Steve. Now I see your point about automating the creation of questionnaires pointing to one Public questionnaire into a large number of courses.

From that other discussion on the same topic, it seems that Bob Puffer has found a solution. Hopefully he will share it.

Joseph

by James Henestofel -

From what I gather he is doing will not be possible for me.  We have our Moodle hosted through a trusted partner.  From what he says he is modifying code, manipulating the database, and running custom scripts to deploy the questionnaire in all the courses.

I need the ability to import or create template courses that will stay linked to the main course evaluation questionnaire.

by Joseph Rézeau -

@James & Steve (and others interested in this feature),

I have hopefully found a working solution to your problem. This scenario should work.

1.- In Course A -> Create Public questionnaire public01

2.- In Course B -> Create new questionnaire questionnaire01 linked to public questionnaire public01 so all responses are sent to public01 in Course A

3.- In Course C -> import content from Course B and have the Course B linked questionnaire questionnaire01 stay linked to Course A public01 questionnaire and send all responses to public01 in Course A.

or:

3b.- In Course B -> backup whole course OR only questionnaire questionnaire01Then restore Course B (or questionnaire questionnaire01) into new course Course D. Check that questionnaire questionnaire01 is still linked to public01 in Course A.

Because this is hack might have unwanted side-effects, I would like it to be tested in situ before committing it to current Questionnaire 2.5. Please test on a copy of your production site on a test site, as usual. I am attaching a hacked version of file mod/questionnaire/backup\moodle2\backup_questionnaire_stepslib.php where the hacked lines are clearly marked. I have also left a test message which would be removed after the tests have been declared successful ("Backing up a questionnaire based on a public questionnaire...").

This hacked file to be used as a replacement on the most recent version of Questionnaire 2.5.6 only.

Looking forward to your testing reports,

Joseph

by Steve Taylor -

Wonderful, thanks! We'll try this asap.

by James Henestofel -

Joseph,

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THIS.  I've tested this with Moodle 2.5.2+ (Build: 20131011) with Questionnaire 2.5.6 and it works beautifully from what my testing can come up with.  I can't test on a test version of my production site because I can't modify code so I had to test this on a local install.

Steps Taken

1. Create public questionnaire PUBLICA in Course A
  2. Create questionnaire QB in Course B and link to PUBLICA
    1. responses all go to PUBLICA
    2. Teacher can't see responses
    3. Student can see own
  3. Import QB into Course C
    3. Student can see own as well as in other course
  4. Backup Course B and restore into Course D
  5. Backup QB and restore into Course E

by Steve Taylor -
This is fabulous, especially because of James' Step 5. The Upload Courses function allows you to specfy a backup to restore into new courses. When I batch-create next semester's course sites, I can cite the QB backup in all of them and have a course evaluation qustionnaire in every course, with data all collected in PUBLCA.
In reply to Steve Taylor

by Joseph Rézeau -

Steve "The Upload Courses function allows you to specfy a backup to restore into new courses."

Can you please give us more details about this mysterious "Upload Courses" function?

Thanks.

In reply to Steve Taylor

by Joseph Rézeau -

Steve "I tried to import that "client" questionnaire into a third course..."

Why would you do that? If you need in that "third course" a questionnaire pointing to your original Public questionnaire, just create a questionnaire in that course and follow the "Copy Public" procedure.

If this does not answer your problem, please re-state with more details.

Joseph

by Steve Taylor -

James' description is pretty much it. I could create a questionnaire in course C and use the "Copy public" procedure, as you said, and it works fine, but I want to do this in 500 course sites.

I was hoping to automate the process by using the batch-course creation function that allows you to have all newly created courses restore the contents of a course backup (which would contain the questionnaire from course B.) So far, it seems that the only way I can have all 500 sites store their data in course A is to manually create a questionnaire in each site.