Questionnaire new features on test site

Questionnaire new features on test site

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello to all Questionnaire users. I have compiled a number of frequent requests for new features and improvements to the Questionnaire plugin with a view to make them available in a future release. In the meantime you are invited to try out those features on my Moodle test site, as usual.

For logging instructions, please refer to this discussion. If there is enough interest and people willing to conduct tests on their own Moodle test site, I will commit my test version to a github repository.

Here is the full list of the new features and improvements of this test version.

• Skip logic (aka "conditional branching") feature. See detailed Help on my test site. CONTRIB-3525.
  • Data analysis (aka "personality test") feature. See detailed Help on my test site. CONTRIB-3610.
  • Display number of responses to rate questions. DiscussionCONTRIB-3163.
  • "View by response" by name of respondent. Discussion.
  • In the All Responses tab, display full text of essays together with name of respondent (for non-anonymous users, of course).
  • In Questions of the Rate type, display Average rank and average values.
  • New "Show nonrespondents" tab to enable teachers to display a list of students who have not yet answered a questionnaire and - optionally - email them a reminder.

Enjoy!

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Questionnaire new features on test site

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Joseph,

Great list -- I'm certain we'll really appreciate them when we get there.  Surprised that notify non-respondents didn't make the list.  That would seem to me to be a top priority.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Bob,

I don't quite see the need for a "notify non-respondents" feature. It is dead easy to notify students who have not taken part in a given activity in Moodle. For example, in Moodle 2.3,

1. go to Reports ► Course participation
  2. From the Activity module dropdown list, select the Questionnaire you want
  3. Show only : Student
  4. Show actions : post
  5. Check all the names of the students who did not "post" (i.e. who did not answer the questionnaire)
  6. With selected users: send a message

That's it!

Joseph

by Bob Puffer -

Yes, we've handed out those instructions for years and continue to get requests for a notify tab.  For many instructors the sequence you list is too complex to remember compared to, "Send reminder email to non-respondents".

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Joseph Rézeau -

Point taken, but then all of Moodle's activities (Quiz, Lesson, etc) should feature a "Send email to non-participants" button.

by Bob Puffer -

I think that's a really good idea for many of the activities in Moodle.  It seems more pronounced a need in the Questionnaire which surveys participants, assumably is looking for the highest response rate and is likely ungraded (grades do a lot to encourage participation).

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Joseph Rézeau -

Done. cool

You can test the new "Show nonrespondents" feature on my test site as per my original post in this discussion. Please note that, due to restrictions to the "teacher" role on my test site teachers can view the list of nonrespondents but cannot bulk email them.

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

BUMP!

So far these proposed new features seem to have generated very little interest. This is a reminder to all active users of Questionnaire to try out the new features on my moodle test site and to post here there remarks, bug reports, suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation,

Joseph

by Aaron Johnson -

I posted on the "View by response" discussion since I am interested in this feature. I will check out the other features as well. Thank you!

by Jenny Gray -

Sorry its taken so long for me to find time to look at these for you.   All these look like great additions to questionnaire.  I can certainly see some, if not all, being used here. 

The only bug I found was in an existing feature, I think. When I was filling in the 'normal' questionnaire, I saved and resumed, and although most of my values were retained, the date had defaulted to 1/1/1970, and an error must be in the range 1902-2037 displayed.

Here is some more targetted feedback about your individual improvements, nothing that would stop you releasing these now and making further improvements over time. 

Conditional branching:

• I found the setup for this a bit tricky until I read the detailed help.  Probably a different label for dependquestion would make it more intuitive, but then I couldn't think of the words to suggest!  That said, I think it is a great addition to questionnaire, and once you've got the hang of it, actually quick and easy!
  • I wonder if some extra validation is required regarding the page breaks - because the branching doesn't work without them. For example if my question 2 which I want to skip over is required, but quest 1, 2 and 3 are on the same page then when I submit, it still tells me that Q2 must be completed.
  • I can see situations where Date and Numeric could be used to control flow e.g. Q when did you last do any formal study, if the user answers > 2 years ago, offer 1 set of questions and if < 2 years ago, offer a different set.  Ratings could be seen in a similar fashion too, to find out why people thought things were at either extreme.  Future developments perhaps though?
  • I wonder if the reports could be improved for conditional branching too - to better reflect the flow of questions in the way the answers are displayed?

Non-respondents

• Display looks good and I assume is using standard moodle methods for outputing this kind of screen?  I wonder what happens when the number of students is huge?  It should Page like the admin user interface for user management.
  • I was going to test validation on the form, so I selected no-one and then tried to send an email.  I got an error that emailing is disabled, fine, so I can't test this, but I think I should have got a 'you didn't select anyone' message instead!  Similarly there should be validation that a subject and message body have been entered, I think.

Rate questions

•  I can see there is an extra number in brackets in the average results table, but it seems to be the same as the number that's always been there? 
  • Aside from that, I think the second table of statistics is great - lots of useful information in a clear presentation.

View by response

• The only very minor comment I have is that 'back to the respondents list' doesn't really need a | after the link, as there's nothing following it.

Essays by name

• I wonder what happens to the usability of the reports if the essay submissions are very long?  But that's not changed, so not really an issue with your new work

Personality tests

• I agree with the help comments that these 'look' best if you use the same question type repeatedly.  It also 'looks' best if the column headings (like agree/disagree in the example) are only displayed once and the questions are all below.  This can also be done if there are blocks of questions of the same type.  I doubt that's going to be easy to program though, given the way the module currently works.
  • The setup for these looks complicated to me, but then these things are complicated!  I haven't tried to make one for myself because its not really something I'm familiar with.  Hopefully others will be able to give better feedback on that part of the process.
In reply to Jenny Gray

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Jenny,

Many thanks for your thorough testing and report. I wish I had had more response like yours.wink

The only bug I found : When I was filling in the 'normal' questionnaire, I saved and resumed, and although  most of my values were retained, the date had defaulted to 1/1/1970, and an error must be in the range 1902-2037 displayed.

*I have fixed that bug, thanks for reporting.

Conditional branching:
Probably a different label for dependquestion would make it more intuitive, but then I couldn't think of the words to suggest!

*Neither can I.

I wonder if some extra validation is required regarding the page breaks - because the branching doesn't work without them.

*I do not see how I can add that extra validation. It's really up to the questionnaire creator to place the pagebreaks where and as needed.

I can see situations where Date and Numeric could be used to control flow.

*I think those can be taken care of with radio buttons choices. No further development in sight for me.

I wonder if the reports could be improved for conditional branching too - to better reflect the flow of questions in the way the answers are displayed?

*I agree. I have fixed this, by simply removing from the "View by Response" report any question which has not been answered because it has not been displayed to the student due to the skip logic flow they followed.

Non-respondents
Display looks good and I assume is using standard moodle methods for outputing this kind of screen?

*yes, same as the Feedback module uses for its non-respondents feature

I wonder what happens when the number of students is huge?  It should Page like the admin user interface for user management.

* The number of students displayed on one page is determined by a define('QUESTIONNAIRE_DEFAULT_PAGE_COUNT', 20); value in questionnaire/lib.php

I was going to test validation on the form, so I selected no-one and then tried to send an email.  I got an error that emailing is disabled, fine, so I can't test this, but I think I should have got a 'you didn't select anyone' message instead!  Similarly there should be validation that a subject and message body have been entered, I think.

*This problem probably occurs because I have disabled bulk emailing on my test site. On a "normal" moodle site, there should be no problem.

Rate questions
I can see there is an extra number in brackets in the average results table, but it seems to be the same as the number that's always been there?

*It is now possible to dissociate rank and value in the "rating" question type. I have made slight changes to the "Complete normal questionnaire" on my test site to make this easier to understand. But it will need more documentation.

Aside from that, I think the second table of statistics is great - lots of useful information in a clear presentation.
*Thanks

View by response
The only very minor comment I have is that 'back to the respondents list' doesn't really need a | after the link, as there's nothing following it.

*Fixed.

Essays by name
I wonder what happens to the usability of the reports if the essay submissions are very long?  But that's not changed, so not really an issue with your new work.

*Indeed not an issue due to my new development.

Personality tests
I agree with the help comments that these 'look' best if you use the same question type repeatedly.  It also 'looks' best if the column headings (like agree/disagree in the example) are only displayed once and the questions are all below.  This can also be done if there are blocks of questions of the same type.  I doubt that's going to be easy to program though, given the way the module currently works.

*Not quite sure what you mean by "blocks of questions etc".

The setup for these looks complicated to me, but then these things are complicated!  I haven't tried to make one for myself because its not really something I'm familiar with.  Hopefully others will be able to give better feedback on that part of the process.

* Yes, setting up that kind of questionnaire IS complicated and I see no way to make it simple. I expect people who need them will know what to do, and of course a good read of the online documentation is a MUST!

There is now a "new features" version available on the remote learner for anyone to download and try out on their own test sites: WIP_CONTRIB-3937_MOODLE_23_STABLE

by Jenny Gray -

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. On the "blocks of questions", I meant that if your survey is of the "answer yes/no/don'tknow to the following 10 questions" then it would be great if the 10 questions appeared with one set of headings like this:

questionyesnodon't know
1. blah
2. blah
3, blah

I doubt that's a trivial change, so probably best to leave it for now!

I think the feature set is really good and my comments generally related to possible future developments, nothing that holds us up right now.

How do we move this work from test to production-ready? I've shown it to my project manager and she's keen to get some of these features into our sites over the next few months.

In reply to Jenny Gray

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Jenny,

I really would have liked more volunteers to install this "new features" version on their test site to gather possible bugs before we make it into production.

Have you actually installed WIP_CONTRIB-3937_MOODLE_23_STABLE on your test site? And tried to upgrade from current MOODLE_23_STABLE version to that WIP version?

Since the new "Survey2" module is now in the testing phase and due to release with Moodle 2.5 (or, I think, more probably for Moodle 2.6), I expect Questionnaire will continue to be used for at least a year. It may also continue to be used if it fills needs that the new Survey2 doesn't. So I don't know if it's a good idea or not to release this "new features" version of Questionnaire as "production version", e.g. to be used with forthcoming Moodle 2.4.

We'll have to wait for Mike's opinion first.

Joseph

by Jenny Gray -

The first test I did was on a clean install.  I have now upgraded one of my development environments to your WIP branch and it seemed to be successful.  I haven't tested very fully yet.

While I was merging the code across I noticed a few TODO statements in the code, I'm not sure how important these are?  For example in locallib around lines 590 and 1984, questions around line 328 and settings_form line 72.

One way we could arrange to get more testing on these new features would be for me to ask the OU's tech testing team to take an early look at them - I have to get them to do that anyway if I'm going to take the features into the OU's version of Moodle, so it would not be wasted effort from our point of view.  I'd like to do that once you and Mike think the work is 'finished' though, so they don't have to do it twice. 

by Jonny Ceballos -

Hello @Joseph,

I'm looking information about support of the Questionnaire Plug-In in the next moodle versions (2.6, 2.7...) because I am developing a project with the plug-in questionnaire and read that Survey2 already in testing phase. Appreciate your help and guidance in this regard.

Sorry for my english. Merci

Jonny Ceballos

In reply to Jonny Ceballos

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Jonny,

Well, the Questionnaire plugin is an add-on and it will hopefully continue to be maintained in further versions of Moodle.

Survey2 is still being tested and I do not know if it will be integrated in Moodle 2.6 or in later versions. We should know for sure when Moodle 2.6 is released, next November.

Joseph

In reply to Jenny Gray

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Jenny "On the "blocks of questions", I meant that if your survey is of the "answer yes/no/don'tknow to the following 10 questions" then it would be great if the 10 questions appeared with one set of headings like this:

questionyesnodon't know
1. blah
2. blah
3, blah

"

Well, you could use a Rate question type with named degrees:---