"Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

"Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 20
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

A feature which has been asked quite a few times in this Questionnaire forum is the "Personality Test" feature whereby, upon completing a questionnaire, the respondent is shown a message whose text is dependent on their answers to the various questions.

See these discussions:

Based on current Questionnaire plugin version for Moodle 2.3 I have added a "Data Analysis" feature which makes it possible to create questionnaires producing a feedback message based on the "score" obtained to the responses. This is only a "proof of concept" at the moment and needs to gather a substantial dose of testing before it makes its way to a future Questionnaire distribution (or not).

I am therefore inviting all regular questionnaire users to test it on my Moodle 2.3 test site. You may log in with a limited teacher role, where you can view sample questionnaires including a Data Analysis feature, view responses, etc. You may also create your own questionnaires. You man log in as student. A detailed help text is available.

Go to course01 and log in with the following login Usernames and Passwords (passwords begin with a capital letter and end with an exclamation mark)

• teacher01   Teacher01!     (Howard Gardner)
  • teacher02   Teacher02!     (Maria Montessori)
  • teacher03   Teacher03!     (Jean Piaget)
  • student01   Student01!
  • student02   Student02!
  • student03   Student03!
  • student09   Student09!

Please report any bugs or remarks in this discussion in this Questionnaire forum.

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: "Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Brayton Maine -

Joseph,

I am interested in making a test but I'm not sure that there is an appropriate type of question for what I want to do. Is this functionality possible?

6 questions. Each question has 4 possible answers. A, B, C, or D. The answers are saved and at the end the amount of A, B, C, and D's are summed and based on the results the quiz tells you your personality. I have read through the documentation on the site. But I'm having a hard time understanding it. Is this type of quiz possible? I think my quiz can be rewritten in the form of the "Multiple Intelligences" test but I was hoping for something short and more simple.

Thank you for this project. I am definitely interested in helping you test it out.

Brayton

In reply to Brayton Maine

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Brayton,

What you want to do is exactly what the new "personality test" feature is meant for! If you go to my test site and have a look at the "Multiple Intelligences Test :: 70 questions" you will have a good example.

If you want to see how that test works, in Section 2 of my test site, simply create a new questionnaire, based on that "Multiple Intelligences Test :: 70 questions". Then have a look at the Advanced settings -> Data analysis -> Body text contents, and edit some questions to see what they look like.

"I was hoping for something short and more simple." I'm afraid at the moment the interface is not "short and simple" and you do have to carefully read the documentation, have a close look at the examples and ... start creating a very simple questionnaire to get the hang of it. Do use my test site and be not afraid to experiment.

Oh, and please do not use the word "quiz" when discussing the Questionnaire activity, as Quiz is a totally separate and unrelated activity in Moodle.wink

ATB

Joseph

by Brayton Maine -

I started making my "quiz," and by that I mean personality test,(I apologize for mislabeling, I do realize that "quiz" is something completely different in moodle), and I quickly realized that it wasn't sure whether or not I would be able to make it or not. I did the tests that I could, to see what they were doing from the perspective of the test taker and based on what I saw, I was unsure of how to implement my test.

By short and simple, I was actually referring to this concept that I will now try to explain a little more in depth.

1) I would prefer to...

(a) Listen to a sory on a CD or on my iPod

(b) Watch a story on a DVD or on YouTube

(c) Work with children to prepare a special performance of a story

(d) Make something to illustrate a story

Then questions 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. At the end of this "learning style test" the a, b, c, and d's are added up and if someone gets more than 5 of a letter  they have "'X' dominant learning style." If they have 3 or less they have "no strong perference for 'X' learning style."

Based on what I saw from taking the Multiple Intelligence Test and reading some of the documentations, I assumed that I would have to break the test instead into sections and instead have people rate their answers. For example,

Section 1 (would be audio learning preference questions)

1. I would prefer to listen to a story on a CD or on my iPod. <rate preference here>

2. When I need to learn something new, I want to hear someone explain it. <rate>

etc. etc.

Section 2 (would be visual learning preference questions)

1. I would prefer to listen to a story on a CD or on my iPod. <rate>

etc etc.

Then based on the responses at the end it would look something like:

Audio learning style= You do not have a strong perference for audio learning. etc etc.

Do these make sense? Are both ways of doing the test possible or am I locked into doing my learning styles test the way I describe in my second example? I started investigating the possibility of creating a custom form and having that on the page. However, I'll wager that intergrating a form into moodle is extremely difficult.

Another question. Is it possible to save the users' results? For example, if the students who take this test find out they are "visual learners," my teachers need to know this information. Storing these results is vital.

Also Joseph, thank you for the encourgement and advice. I'm very excited about the prospects of this plugin.
Brayton

by David Richardson -

Hi Joseph,

I had a quick go at the quiz and I would like to use it for my class.  Can I import into my moodle course?

Regards

David

by Cor Mouwen -

Hi Joseph,

Great work! It's a long, long awaited feature. It looks good.

I have a long questionnaire with an complex algorithm. The algorithm-calculation is now performed in an Excel-sheet sad

I would like to give it a try on my Moodle site. Are you willing to supply me with the plugin to do so?

Tnx.

Cor

In reply to Cor Mouwen

by Joseph Rézeau -

To David, Cor and anyone else interested in the "Personality Test" new feature for Questionnaire.

This is still very much in a development stage, so is not recommended for use on a Moodle Production site. However, you are welcome to try it out on my moodle test site.

And you can also download and install the new features branch (on a moodle 2.3 site only) on your own moodle site to conduct your own tests (please report any bugs, etc here).

project branch: https://github.com/remotelearner/moodle-mod_questionnaire/tree/WIP_CONTRIB-3937_MOODLE_23_STABLE

zip file from here: https://github.com/remotelearner/moodle-mod_questionnaire/archive/WIP_CONTRIB-3937_MOODLE_23_STABLE.zip

Mike and I are currently working towards making this available in a future "official" release of Questionnaire, but you'll have to be patient.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Cor Mouwen -

Thanks a lot Joseph.

I've been testing this weekend and I think it's very promising.

My personality test is a bit more complicated than Case study #2. the test has six subresults. Manipulation of the subresults will give the endresult.

The customer only needs to see the endresult. Basicly what I need for this are 6 extra variables ($extravar1, ... $extravar6) to do all the calculations with.

Do you think it is possible to add extra variables to be used in the Data Analysis Field, in order to perform some more complex calculations?

Tnx.

Cor

by Jim Judges -

This sounds like an exciting development and one that could be useful in a number of applications.

Could you please update us on any progress and likely inclusion in future versions of feedback/questionnaire?

All the best,

Jim

Ynt: Re: "Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Ismail Aksoy -

Dear Joseph,

I have an issue I think it's releated with the number of questions. I have 206 questions in the personality test that i'm working on. On the results page I can't make it calculate the analitics of the three digit numbered questions.

$subscore=$q1+$q2+$q3+$q106+$q107+$q108

For this example the script understands there are 6 questions in the array but it doesn't add 3 digit numbers to subscore.

Could anyone help me on this.
BRGDS

In reply to Ismail Aksoy

Re: Ynt: Re: "Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Ismail,

Which version of Questionnaire are you using? which branch? where did you download it from?

I'm afraid I've limited the potential number of questions to be analysed to 100 (actuallly 99), since it looks like a reasonable number. When I get around to working on a questionnaire 2.5 version of the personality test feature I will look into the matter and try to extend that number.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: "Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Ismail Aksoy -

I'm using the version for moodle 2.3. smile I wish i know some php and can help you on that. Does it need a small code modifying or a complex one? 

In reply to Ismail Aksoy

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: "Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Joseph Rézeau -

"I'm using the version for moodle 2.3." Yes, but where did you download it from? It's not an "official" version.

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: "Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Ismail Aksoy -

I downloaded the questionnaire plugin from the link that you have shared on your previous posts (23Nov2012)

In reply to Ismail Aksoy

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: "Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks for the info, Ismail. Unfortunately I am no longer working on that old version.

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: "Personality Test" Data Analysis new feature project

by Ismail Aksoy -

Hmm. Where can i download the latest version which can analyse the subscore totals? 

In reply to Ismail Aksoy

by Joseph Rézeau -

Sorry, Ismail, that was only a "proof of concept" version. I am hoping to make the Personality Test feature available in forthcoming version 2.5 of Questionnaire, but it might take a few weeks or months before that is ready for a stable version.

You should not have installed that "proof of concept" version on a production site, only on a test site.

Joseph

by Chris Wells -

Hi Joseph,

I have been reading about the 'personality test' for Moodle and it seems just what I'm after for an internal personality test for the company I work for to issue to new starters.

The way that their current paper one works is that you have a series of questions, each with a Yes/No answer. Each answer has a letter associated with it. At the end of the test, each associated letter is added up and the most popular letters are put together to bring back a code that gives the candidates personality description.

Is this how your module works/will work in 2.5? Would your module be suited for my needs?

In reply to Chris Wells

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Chris,

Yes, from your description it seems that the "personality test" feature in Questionnaire is just what you need.

Right now I am busy finalizing another much wanted feature, the "skip logic/conditional branching" and hoping to release it in the coming weeks.

The "personality test" feature will come next. Do send me an email (see my profile) if you need further info.

Joseph

by Chris Chapman -

any progress with this feature?

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Chris,

We have had many new features in Questionnaire 2.5 so we needed that version to "stabilize" first. I have made good progress on the "Personality Test" feature, and will start to port it to Questionnaire 2.6 soon (on a Beta version first, of course).

When that 2.6 Beta version is available I will post the news in this forum asking for testers' help. And I hope you will volunteer then.wink

Joseph