Student names missing on HotPot reports

Student names missing on HotPot reports

by Nancy K Hoke -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings Gordon - thank you so much for keeping HotPot available and working in Moodle.  I wish to add onto this conversation, because with the start of our Fall Term we are experiencing similar issues with HotPot.  We use it extensively in our English program. Our English faculty has created a diagnostic HotPot that is 65 questions long.  The students (over 40 students) took the HotPot quiz in the classroom with no problems.  When the faculty click on the link to see the results only two of the 40 students appear and only 1 has a score.  After reading this forum I believe the issue maybe the students having to complete the entire quiz with all successful answers.  Which really does not allow HotPot to be used as a diagnostic exam - but that is not the issue.  My question at this point is - should the students names be showing even if they do not have a completed score?  We are in Moodle 2.3 and the HotPot was created on a PC working in Windows 7.  I encourage the faculty to use Firefox for all Moodle work. 

Thank you again for any help and insight you can provide.

Nancy K. - Khalifa University Ab Dhabi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy K Hoke

Re: Help! HotPot grades not recorded! (a few students only)

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Nancy,
you are right that the HotPot module is not intended for a diagnostic exams. Probably, the standard Moodle Quiz module would be a better tool for that. The good news is that you can easily import your Hot Potatoes quiz (JQuiz?) into the Moodle question bank, and then create a standard Moodle Quiz with the imported questions.

Regarding your question about student names in a HotPot report, I would say "yes" the names of all students who have begun an attempt at a HotPot activity should appear in the HotPot reports. The status of attempts that have been started but which are not yet finished will be marked as "in progress", while the status of attempts that have been finished will be marked, "completed", "abandoned" or "timed out".

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: Help! HotPot grades not recorded! (a few students only)

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Nancy,
I have split this thread into a separate discussion, because I think it deserves it wide eyes

After investigating, I found that only students who have a grade for a given HotPot are shown on the reports for that HotPot activity. This is not what one might expect. This applies particularly to students attempting a HotPot for the first time and who do not complete the HotPot (i.e. keep going till they find all the correct answers). These students will not appear on the HotPot reports until they complete the HotPot, as only then will a grade be added to the gradebook.

I am pretty sure this explains why your students were not appearing on your HotPot reports.

I have fixed this issue in the HotPot module for Moodle for 2.x. The fix will be available to you as soon as the HotPot module is updated on your Moodle site.

FYI, I have also fixed the issue of students' grades not being recorded if they do not complete the HotPot. This fix is also contained in the latest version of the HotPot module.

best regards
Gordon