Manager role - unable to delete Categories?

Manager role - unable to delete Categories?

by Mark McNulty -
Number of replies: 4

Hi...

I've recently started using 2.4 (and loving all the new features!) but would appreciate any tips on a category-level issue...

Basically, when I assign someone as a 'manager' at a category level, they are able to look after everything at 'their' level and  below - create/edit categories & courses etc.

But they do not seem to be able to delete sub-categories.

I'd really like this to work since colleagues sometimes create sub-categories and then have a re-think and need to zap them.

So I'm thinking I've missed a setting somewhere?

For the manager role in a given category, I have also checked 'manage category' in their permissions, so was hoping this would over 'delete' as well as 'create' and 'edit'.

All tips greatly appreciated!

Mark McNulty

Queen Elizabeth School, Cumbria, UK

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark McNulty

Re: Manager role - unable to delete Categories?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi theresmile How is it up there in Cumbria? Have a look at the 2.4 documentation on managing categories and see if there is anything here that you might have missed: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Capabilities/moodle/category:manage

(in particular number 5)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark McNulty -

Hi, Mary...

Really appreciate that super-speedy reply - and Cumbria is wet as usual ;)

Thanks for the link. I had read that page - but think I must have mis-understood where I need to set the permissions, specifically on 'parent' categories. So can I just check what's meant by:

• "To delete a category, you need moodle/category:manage in the parent category and the category itself"

As an example, we have a category called 'English' and  I've given one person the role of 'Manager' in that category.

This 'Manager' has then created sub-categories for 'GCSE English',  'A-Level English' and 'English Lit'.

Now let's suppose the Manager of 'English' wants to delete the sub-category called 'English Lit'.

I had thought the manager would be able to do that because I'd set moodle/category:manage in the parent directory (English).

But maybe I also need to set that in the parent directory of  the 'English' category?

I do hope that's not the case because the parent category of 'English' is 'Top'. And don't want this kind of Manager to have such potentially wide rights to  edit/create/delete categories.

Apologies if that doesn't make any sense, Mary. I'm certainly no expert with roles!!

Thanks again,

Mark

PS

Just FYI, all this work is for a new Moodle that's being managed by Remote Learner/Overnet.

Bet you miss all the post-Cleo politics!!

In reply to Mark McNulty

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

(I'm still reading about post-CLEO politics, and my old school now runs Moodle on their own server and very good it is too) Are you saying English is not a top level category?  If he wants to delete the sub category called English lit then I think you need to give him moodle:category:manage in English lit (and it also says moodle/course:delete in all of the courses of that category too)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark McNulty -

Hi, Mary...

Don't think I explained that too well - apologies!

Basically, when I assign 'Manager' at a category level, I'd really like them to be able to 'manage' everything in their category. That would ideally include being able to delete sub-categories.

But having spent a bit more time digging, it seems this is a known bug - at least according to comment by Andrea Bicciolo on this discussion:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=227122

On the tracker, there's also this earlier stuff:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30430

So I think I'll just wait until it's fixed - unless there's already a patch/fix available?

Thanks again for help, Mary.

Cheers,

Mark