Would choice module serve this purpose?

Would choice module serve this purpose?

by Mrs. Omer -
Number of replies: 2

We are an online institute and offer classes over internet and moodle 2.5 is our prime educational resource for communication with the students. Courses are free and we want the students to record their own attendance (e.g. 1. whether they attended live, 2. have they listened to recording 3. do they need recording, or 4. are they on leave etc) on moodle. So for example, if a course class meets two days a week and the term lasts for 10 weeks, then the students have to mark their attendance status for 20 classes gradually updating it after every class or every week.

What we need to do is to make 20 multiple choice questions for 20 classes, giving them four options as stated above and we will keep this questionnaire open till the end of the term so students can access it any time and mark their attendance status and also be able to update their status for any class, once they have listened to the recording, for example.

The results of whole class should not be visible to students but only to the teacher. Now I am unsure which activity would work best that allows re-submission and also shows their earlier responses to the students so they may be able to update it. Quiz module seems complicated for this because of grading etc. Questionnaire once submitted cannot be edited, I guess?

The students would answer only two questions each week and can leave the remaining questions unanswered and so on and will complete the attendance record by the end of the term. I was wondering if choice module can have more than one questions or do I need to create multiple choice activities for each question? That would be too many activities (20) on course home page? or would it be possible to move those to a sub-page/folder within the course page. Any other activity can serve this purpose in a better way?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mrs. Omer

Re: Would choice module serve this purpose?

by Paula Clough -

Mrs Omer,

Choice will not work well for this unless you want 20 different choices on your page as each choice is only one question. There is no grading involved with choice and it can be set up for students to go back in and change their answers.  The downside of having twenty different choices is that in order to check on students progress, you will have to go into 20 different places and keep track of what you saw.

Actually the quiz could work quite well for this as you can give unlimited number of attempts on the quiz. Give the quiz a minimum number of points even just 1 point and make a multiple choice question for each item that needs to be tracked.  One the settings page for the quiz be sure to make the question order "As shown on the edit screen" so that things don't get moved around. You will probably also want to turn the shuffle with questions to "No" as well.  This will keep all the questions are in the same place so tracking student progress/attendance would be much easier. There is a "description" question which is not a question but allows you to add text to the quiz page for directions, categories, etc. These could be week 1, week 2, or other helpful descriptions between groups of questions.  Questions can be edited and then saved as new to save time in adding very similar questions.  The quiz looks complicated but once you get started, it's not really so hard. Here's the link to a video on setting up a quiz. 

I hope that helps.

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

Re: Would choice module serve this purpose?

by Mrs. Omer -

Thanks very much. That is very helpful indeed.