fyi See our Personalized Learning Environment in Moodle

fyi See our Personalized Learning Environment in Moodle

by Jago Brown -
Number of replies: 8

Dear all,

I've just uploaded my first (mumbling un-polished) screencast to YouTube.  It should be viewed at 720p HD quality - to read the screen text:

Other info here in the general developer forum:  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=226791

This PLE is in Moodle 2.2, but I hope to upgrade to 2.5 & put the theme & core code modifications online.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Jago Brown

Re: fyi See our Personalized Learning Environment in Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well if that is your first, mumbling unpolished screencast then I look forward to seeing your later, fluent polished ones - because this one is very good as it is -and thanks for sharing itsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: fyi See our Personalized Learning Environment in Moodle

by Isabelle Langeveld -

Yes, it would be great if more people shared their Moodlework in this way. That's some thinking and coding you guys have done. I really like seeing everything a student does in one overview.

Really great that you took the time to do this. I am still evading making my first screencast and putting it online. Everybody always says it's so easy, I don't believe it.

In reply to Mary Cooch

More Personalisation in Moodle to engage students & support progress

by Jago Brown -

In the presentation below, I give details of the how, what, & why @StanmoreCollege developed this more Personalised Learning Environment (PLE) within Moodle. This was presented at ALT-C 2013 (nottingham.ac.uk).

[This Moodle forum cleans/strips out the Google presentation embed code, so below there is a link to where it is embedded in WordPress & a direct link to presentation]

http://blog.thelearner.net/2014/02/creating-a-personalised-learning-environment-to-support-progress/ 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ScoGOQwTZVg2Qr-a1wIBfPzgC1RI93q5J-F4NkPGxDc/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

Link to abstract at http://research.moodle.net/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=64

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jago Brown

Re: More Personalisation in Moodle to engage students & support progress

by dawn alderson -

Jago, hi

saw the details on the research site too.  This is really interesting.  I noticed you mentioned on that site page past, present and in particular-future research with this.  

Have you thought about impact?  You know, for example, slide 10- and consideration of outcomes, some correlations between logging activity and those 5 items.  And, slide 11-correlations might be particularly useful in the target for talent area.

Just some thoughts smile

cheers,

Dawn

In reply to Jago Brown

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jago,

Yes, this is great. Thank you so much for sharing smile

It seems to offer a lot of features that are available in Mahara https://mahara.org/ eportfolio system (They can be integrated: Moodle + Mahara = Mahoodle) but it looks like a nice idea to have it all consolidated in one place, i.e. Moodle only. I like the extra, context specific navigation menus; great for helping Moodle novices find their way around.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

by dawn alderson -

Hi both,

yes-Matt, smile agree about the UI, really nice. And, agree about the clincher-e-portfolio. That is what gave me the idea about looking at impact...correlations.  Essentially Jago, once there is an established standard of practice with one round...so, looking at the variables in one of those groupings, you can apply it with the other groups. 

How would I attack it? In the following way....

1. I would code up a sample of student 'activity' in one of those groups (out of the five) both numerically and with a word tag/label

2. Put this data into a spreadsheet in xcel or SPSS.

3. Do the same for the e-portfolio 'evidence' (e.g. outcomes)

4. you can then use Chi square to check for patterns/relationships (correlations) across those variables.....doesn't tell you cause and effect...but can highlight what actions might be linked to outcomes.

Next, you could design a questionnaire/or interview a focus group with questions informed from the patterns/realtionships you found in the stats...keeping those questions tightly focused

The student voice/views can help to support or refute your stats data.

Hope helpful.

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Jago Brown -

Hi Dawn,

thanks for this advice.  To make this ‘personalisation’ research more useful to teachers & institutions I think I still need to do a number of things:

1. Use the Moodle question engine* for Mobile friendly auto eAssessment of certain outcomes (eg BTEC Pass criteria).  I am particularly interested in developing (OU based) ‘visual’ drag & drop type questions for language & STEM qualifications.  This would allow teachers to spend time on complex things, computers can’t do, & would open the door for some real time learning analytics, which could be fed back into this PLE.

1. Complete re-factoring of this PLE for Moodle 2.7, so other Moodle administrators can implement...

2. Improve design of learning & some Moodle courses involved in this research.  Maybe using as a theoretical underpinning, the research of Diana Laurillard & others, where the full role of teachers is recognized: Teaching as a Design Science, Building Pedagogical Patterns for Learning and Technology...

It will just take some time to develop & set this up.  Such is the politics & funding in education, my Learning Technologist post was deleted at Christmas, so I am now teaching.

* Moodle’s question engine needs to be simpler/quicker for teachers to design questions, & for students to answer on their mobiles,  but it still has to be one of the under utilized strengths of technology & Moodle? And where the services of big players like Google & Microsoft are unlikely to venture in a hurry.

In reply to Jago Brown

by dawn alderson -

Jago, hi

understand.  Thank you for sharing your work, I like it a lot. 

-It seems I put the cart before the horse smile...The central point of my idea was to track student activity in terms of the features within the PLE that lead to personalisation. So, although the agenda is personal to the student, thought it might be an idea to identify specifics within those groups. Reason being I know of other types of PLE envs such as Pebble Pad and what not, but I don't know about any R&D that shows how effective they are for student progress/motivation to engage/outcomes  and so on.      

-Really exciting stuff surrounding the question engine-timely in response to a focus on those subjects you mentioned, I would say STEM for sure, in the UK context.  

-Learning analytics...the project on that link was interesting to read, headed up by Siemens, know his work.  A question that remains for me however is how can students engage with LA for reflective activity, in other words, how can they have easy access, and initiate action for progress?

-Laurillard, yes, love the TLRP work and smiled at the other related papers/slides, as the work links nicely with a recent research paper we have submitted about dialogue, T&L in the Moodle MOOC, September last. Theoretically Diane's work appears to fit well with what you are aiming to do.

-Be happy to help out in someway in the future, if helpful for you, although I hear you about teaching loads-can get in the way big grin       ( I have a form to complete to join ALT-must do that!).

Cheers,

Dawn