Developing the USER’s personalised/profile pages (PLE)

Developing the USER’s personalised/profile pages (PLE)

by Jago Brown -
Number of replies: 9

@stanmoreCollege we are looking at ways to improve, customise & better integrate the pages which present information about a particular student. For example the “My Moodle Page”, the grades “User report” page, ILP Block & other custom pages...Over time I hope to post examples of our other personalised pages to this moodle discussion, as they may be of interest to others.

Please click the image below to view it un-squashed (it's a long image at 2600px)

Enhanced user/view page

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jago Brown

Re: Developing the USER’s personalised/profile pages (PLE)

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Jago, just curious if this is a proposed change to the user profile/myMoodle or is actual/already in production? 

Looks great either way, I love the inclusion of the ILP which I think would be just as relevant to display the "engagement report" information https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=20 or other quick stats to help guide student activity on the LMS

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Jago Brown -

Hi Joseph, Yes I put this into production last week. I’ll put my hand up and admit that this image is a Photoshop splice of my “Test Dummy Student” Moodle account, and a real student.  This is because my “Test Dummy Student” is not walking around the campus with a swipe ID card & also being registered by their teachers for attendance & punctuality, so has none of the attendance data I wanted to display on this user/view page smile.  Thanks for link to the block_engagement, I’ll try & have a look at this.

In reply to Joseph Thibault

Moving this towards an easy flavour Moodle 2.6 build, with grades tracking at the fore...

by Jago Brown -

Hello, With some of the nice qualities of Moodle 2.6 & bootstrap themes etc., I think there is an opportunity to develop a faster simpler moodle build/template for schools & colleges.  With two principal pages prominent in the interface for students:

1. the frontpage news portal  - maybe pulling news into a Carousel such as shown in image attached

2. profile page - which provides student with links to their courses, overall grades

The following files illustrate the basics of displaying grades & links in the /user/profile.php, & might help other get started on exploring this.  See line 346: /// A hack related to MDL-39273:

there are important annotations in these files that describe some of the issues.  Anyway, the scripts above look like the attached image  - in Moodle 26_STABLE, with bootstrap clean theme.

I hope to put up a demo site soon to make all this clearer (for teachers), & to show how the basic grades tracking works, & compares with what we have running in Moodle 2.2:  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=235598

Attachment GradesInStudentProfilePage_theLearnerNet.PNG
Attachment MoodleFrontPageForumCarousel.PNG
In reply to Jago Brown

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Very usfull ideas!

We have added "course filter" above the course list (you can filter courses by year/semester/role) which helped students that uses Moodle for 3+ years (not to say teachers!) with lots of courses on each semester.

In reply to Jago Brown

by Kimber Warden -

Very cool! Will you be sharing the code?

Kimber

In reply to Kimber Warden

by Jago Brown -

Hi Kimber,

Yes I  would think the idea is for my college to share the code.  However there is quite a lot going on here, and the code would benefit from further work & decisions. e.g. Are there features of this that we would like to see in core moodle builds?

( I’d definitely like to see the list of courses better presented, & an easier method to allow “ALL” staff in an institution to be able to easily see grades/outcomes for every course of a  student [e.g. maybe an aggregate of this view /grade/report/user/index.php?id=xyz&userid=****] )

Or should this code just be made available to other developers to integrate into their Moodle’s?  Currently I’ve put all the CSS in a custom theme, so my  user/view.php has a dependency on theme/customtheme/  as well as block_ilp... so there is a bit of work required before this code can be implemented/useful.

In reply to Jago Brown

Why not add the User (grade) Report to the User course Profile page?

by Jago Brown -

This way when the student or teacher clicks on a student's picture (in a moodle course context), they get a more comprehensive view of the students progress & activity in that course.  See the users Grades report with Feedback beneath the list of courses in the screenshot below:

Idea to include course grades & feedback on the course profile view
(To complement this, it would also be good if the teacher/tutor could see this students My Moodle page, listing the status of all their tutees activities)

In reply to Jago Brown

Re: Why not add the User (grade) Report to the User course Profile page?

by Jago Brown -

Below is an annotated version of the image above, with aggregate percentages for ALL the courses this student is enrolled in. It is more likely that the default display would look like this to keep it simple, as this is what is displayed [grade/report/overview/index.php] in current versions (up to atleast Mdl 2.4).  Also note the screenshot ignores settings: grade_report_overview_showrank & grade_report_overview_showtotalsifcontainhidden.

Should you feel development along this lines would be useful, you can Vote for this as an improvement: Moodle MDL-39273 : ”Create a Moodle User Dashboard by adding Grades & Feedback to the user course Profile views”

(I've added an example of a typical "User Report" with many columns, to make it easier to see how this relates )

Attachment course-grade-user-report-example.png
Attachment StanmoreCollege-PLE-UserGradeRpt-IDEAforTrackerModified.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jago Brown

by Stuart Lamour -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jargo,

also been aware of the issues around users personal pages in moodle 2.

Currently nav block has :

• home
  • my home
  • site pages
  • my profile
  • current course
  • my course
  • courses

or some variants of this.

This is all rather confusing for students.

A single profile page would simplify this rather messy information architecture a lot.

cheers

stuart