tables

tables

by Mary Callicoat -
Number of replies: 10

I am using Moodle 2.5 and when I create a table, and then work within it (i.e. change formatting, move pictures from one cell to another, etc) some of the cells seem to go dead.  Sometimes it is one cell, sometimes it is multiple cells.  There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason.  

I use tables a great deal, so any help would be appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Callicoat

Re: tables

by Christian Herman -

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "cells seem to go dead"?  Have you examined the source code on dead cells?

In reply to Christian Herman

by Mary Callicoat -

I am just a simple teacher with very little experience in Moodle and no experience in source code.  Sometimes when you move something or format, the cell will go blank and no longer work.  The border around them disappears.  I can highlight the cell, but no editing feature works on it, and no picture or text will go into that area.

by Christian Herman -

We'll need more information.  Do you remember what exactlly were the last few changes you made to a table that broke it, the last time it happened?

In reply to Christian Herman

by Mary Callicoat -

Some of the changes I have made include: moving a picture from one cell to another, attempting to add a link, attempting to change background color, any one of these can (or maybe not) set the table on a free spin downward cycle...once one cell goes, they all start!

by Floyd Saner -

Mary,

When a cell is empty it sometimes collapses and seems to disappear.  I believe this is what you are experiencing. It is still there, but difficult to access.  What I do in the initial table setup is to set 'cell padding' and 'cell spacing' to about 5 pixels.  This makes it easier to see the empty cells, and I can always go back and make that spacing smaller after the table is filled.  You can change the padding and spacing in an existing table by clicking on the table (this should select the entire table) and then clicking the table icon in the editor toolbar.

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Mary Callicoat -

This did not work.  sad  I did what you said, and attempted to link a website to one of the pictures.  It actually moved the picture into a totally new column which wasn't even there when I started.

by Mary Callicoat -

Oh, and then the cell where the picture was originally would not allow anything to be typed or inserted into it.  I could highlight it and attempt to change the cell properties, but, no matter how many times I attempted, it was not going to happen.

by Floyd Saner -

Mary,

Sorry you are having so much trouble.  Which browser and browser version are you using?  I'd try a different browser.

I've never experienced such problems with tables.

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Mary Callicoat -

Thank you!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  

I don't know why I didn't think of that, but, so far, so good, and it seems to be working in firefox!

by ed mackeen -

Can always create a table somewhere else like Dreamweaver or SeaMonkey browser (can create tables using HTML) and paste it into the HTML code of text box of Moodle. I hate using tables in the text box editor due to the problems.