Activity Completion - SCORM - Moodle 2.5+ (Build: 20130614)

Activity Completion - SCORM - Moodle 2.5+ (Build: 20130614)

by Robert McLaughlin -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

In our courses we have a SCORM package which contains a SCO called Quiz ( which is scored ) and another SCO called Exam ( which is also scored ).

In our courses we also have a Certificate, to which I want to Restrict Access until the SCORM package has been completed with a passing score.

One of the problems that I am facing is that when the SCO-Quiz is successfully completed then the whole course becomes completed and the Certificate becomes available even before the SCO-Exam has been completed.

Would anyone know which section of the code I could look at in order to get the behavior we want?

Or is there a better way to implement this feature?

Regards,
Robert.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert McLaughlin

Re: Activity Completion - SCORM - Moodle 2.5+ (Build: 20130614)

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

When you say "when the SCO-Quiz is successfully completed then the whole course becomes completed" do you mean that you are using Course completion criteria? or that the whole SCO package activity is completed?

Are you using an access restriction in the Certificate linked back to the SCO (which would be the usual way?) If so, are you setting this based on the grades produced by the SCO Quiz and/or Exam and/or are you basing this on completion of the whole SCORM activity?

There's quite a number of settings that affect how the SCORM package defines "completion" and "passed" that you can set in Moodle http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/SCORM_settings#Attempts_management - but it will  also depend on how you have set the the package itself to define completion and passing.

See the explanation at "Handling of Multiple Attempts" in the SCORM FAQ http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/SCORM_FAQ

You may need to check in the database to see how the cmi.core.lesson_status is being set (it's in mdl_scorm_scoes_track).

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Robert McLaughlin -

Hi Randy,

Below I explain a bit more the issue.

The course is made up of a SCORM package and a CERTIFICATE.

And the SCORM package has this structure.

SCORM treeview

The issue is that when the 'Cabin Electrical Power - Quiz' is marked as passed and completed then the complete SCORM package is tagged as complete and the Certificate activity becomes available. (The Quiz and Exams always report lesson_completion status of passed / complete and cannot be changed due to other restrictions.)

The SCORM package has an Activity Completion setting of Required Status [Passed] and when the Quiz is passed then the whole SCORM package is shown as completed.

The Certificate has a Restrict Access of SCORM package must be completed.

The database does record the SCO-Quiz as passed and completed as it should.

The only "workaround" that I have figured out so far is to break up the SCORM Package into multiple packages then I can get the behavior required.  The problem is that some of those SCORM Packages can have up to 20 plus modules.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,
Robert.

by Richard Bakos -

From my understanding, you can only track one SCO (ie, a quiz) per SCORM package. But there may be a solution: http://daveperso.mediaenglishonline.com/2010/03/25/use-ssp-to-track-multiple-quizzes-and-courses/

I've never tried it, so I can only tell you to try your luck. It does sound like what you are trying to achieve though. 

In reply to Richard Bakos

by Robert McLaughlin -
Thanks Richard.

Creating a multi-sco manifest is not the issue, but with the score rollup to the SCORM package.

What I found here ( http://scorm.com/blog/2009/10/score-rollup-in-scorm-1-2-theres-no-silver-bullet/ ) is that this feature is implemented in SCORM 2004 but not in 1.2.

It looks like the only way to implement what we want in the current version of Moodle (2.5) is to break up the SCORM package into multiple SCORM packages ( one for each module and each exam ). In the case of the current course that I'm implementing this would equate to a dozen SCORM packages.

This works but is not a very elegant user experience.

It would be a great feature to add, that is to have the ability to select which SCO in the SCORM package which will determine the SCORM package rollup score. This could be a feature of the SCORM package configuration.

Regards,
Robert.

by Richard Bakos -

Hello Robert,

I think you misunderstand the article I linked to. It describes a method of publishing multiple SCORM packages for LMS, as 1.2 or 2004, and then packaging them together with Simple Scorm Packager as a single zipped file for use in your LMS, not on creating a manifest.

I am pretty sure this is what you want to do. The tutorial goes through a process of publishing out for LMS multiple SCORM packages (not zipped) to the same folder, telling SSP where those files are, and then it packages them into a single SCORM package with multiple, trackable SCO's... Well, it's a tab more complicated then that but I recommend watching the video tutorial on the article I linked to, if you haven't already, and see if this is a possible solution for you... I've downloaded the trial os SSP and I'm going to test it in dev environment tonight and let you know the results.

In reply to Richard Bakos

by Robert McLaughlin -

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delay in response.

I'll have another look at the article you referred me to and see what it offers.  Creating a single SCORM package with multiple trackable SCOs is not the issue, but having Moodle not indicate completed when one of the SCO's reports a status of Passed and Completed.

I'm looking at the Moodle API to see how I could tweak the PHP to trigger the SCORM package as complete.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Robert.

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Robert,

From the Moodle point of view, the Certificate is working, since it opens when the SCORM activity reports 'complete.'

One thing to try is to set Certificate's access restriction based on a grade instead of completion.

There are a couple of settings in the Moodle setting that control the number of attempts allowed and the way the cumulative grade is calculated. They might (might) provide at least the ability for the user to get through all the content before is short circuits its definition of completion.

A common workaround is to create a comprehensive final exam in Moodle whose grade is the controller for opening the Certificate.

Also, there is really nothing wrong with breaking up the SCORM into a dozen separate activities. In fact, it can be very useful when you want to start interpolating other Moodle activities and resources to supplement the SCORM modules. Also, it speeds up the process for updating and fixing on a module by module  basis.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Robert McLaughlin -

Hi Randy,

Sorry for the delay in response, we deployed the Test version last week so lots had to be done.

I finally release the initial version by breaking down the SCORM package into multiple packages where each module SCO's and module EXAM were two SCORM packages.  The EXAM not available until the SCO's quiz was completed and the CERTIFICATE not available until the EXAM was completed.

This worked, but I don't find the user experience as elegant as I would like.  I will revisit the LEARNING OBJECT grading method to see if this will work for us. When initially tested the results were not what I was expecting. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Regards,

Robert.