Student Help For Icons

Student Help For Icons

by Sharon McMenemy Khan -
Number of replies: 3

So far I don't see how students know what each icon represents (the mouse roll over shows the Moodle URL).

Has anyone created a help resource for icons and how did you display it?

Note: I tried adding a label but it's too large and distracts from the topics below. I can add a page, but I don't like adding help that looks like a topic.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sharon McMenemy Khan

Re: Student Help For Icons

by George Self -

Here's a link to a page that at least defines the 2.3 and 2.4 "standard" icon sets:

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/2.3_icons_versus_2.4

Keep in mind, though, that it's possible your system administrator loaded some sort of customized icon set for your installation; so they may be really different. Good luck with it. --George

In reply to Sharon McMenemy Khan

by Christian Herman -

What icons are you concerned about?  The vast majority of unlabeled icons are only viewable when editing is turned on, which students can't do.

In reply to Christian Herman

by Sharon McMenemy Khan -

Thanks for your help. I wanted something user-centric. I wrote this:

The icons help you manage the course in different ways.

Timescale If you have limited time consider reviewing a page or taking a lesson.
Task Based If you want to collaborate with others add information to the wiki or if you need peer feedback start a debate in the forum.

Lesson Icon: Pages linked to each other. Lesson Work through a guided learning experience.
Assignment Icon: Open Hand Passing an Open Paper Assignment Develop an original piece of work.
Wiki Icon: Interweaved information  Wiki Collaborate with others by adding or editing a topic.
Page Icon: An mulitmedia open page. Page Review the resources.
Forum Icon: Interacting Dialog Boxes Forum Create a debate around an idea.
Book Icon: Closed Book Book Delve into more indepth information.
Quiz Icon: A document with a tick Quiz Test your knowledge.
Glossary Icon: A book with tabs. Directory Research the industry and its key players.