Merging content from two courses

Merging content from two courses

by Jeff Jones -
Number of replies: 6

I am trying to merge two courses together into a new course.  I used the import feature to bring the content in from each course but rather than appending the content, it merges it.  For example, if I merge math 1 and math 2 into the new course, I want the chapters in math 1 to be before the chapters imported from math 2.

I am using Moodle 2.4.1.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Jones

Re: Merging content from two courses

by ben reynolds -

So, Jeff, by "merge," you mean that in Section 1 you find both the stuff for Math 1 and the stuff for Math 2? You don't mean Math 2 overwrites Math 1.

Import brings everything from the section it is in to same section in the new course.

You can use, I think, a multi-select of activities to drag all of section 1 Math 2 down to a lower section. I think that works in 2.4.

Another workaround is to make current Math 2 twice as many sections as it currently uses. Create as many additional sections as Math 1 uses. Drag all of Math 2 below the number of sections Math 1 uses so that all the top sections are empty. Now when you import into Math 1, Math 2 goes below Math 1.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Jeff Jones -

Yes Ben, when I imported the content from the 2 courses, both topic ones ended up merged into one topic 1.  So you are right in that wherever a topic is in the course to be imported is where it ends up in the new course, topic 1 goes to topic 1, etc, even if there is something already there.  It would be great if there was an option to append, or to designate the topic to where the import is to take place.

So I did as you suggested and added a bunch of blank topics in math2 before merging them into math1.  That worked fine.  The only problem I had was moving all of the blank topics to the top.  That seems like it should be very fast but it wasn't.   The move feature isn't very good when the topics are long, I was guessing where they were going to end up.  I ended up moving one topic up one topic at a time, so adding blank 20 topics to the top was a lot of work, each topic being moved a bunch of times.

A nice rewrite to the move topic feature would be if you could drag/drop topics from within the navigation bar, or to allow topics to be moved in the collapse form.

Thanks Ben for your help!!!!

In reply to Jeff Jones

by ben reynolds -

Hi Jeff,

I'm glad you got it to work. Yes, the learning curve on what Moodle does and doesn't do is steep. But, you've learned something important and shared it with the community. That's a big help.

I'm terrible at using the tracker, but you can start a tracker item for this request and solicit votes.

In reply to Jeff Jones

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Jeff,

If you double click the 'Move icon', rather than hold and drag, you can get your job done quickly.

HTH

BTW: moved your post from Database forum to General help forum.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Josh Davis -

ben, could you clarify how to multi-select activities? I found this thread trying to solve the same problem as Jeff. The final answer will work perfectly, but I also recognize that knowing how to multi-select will come in handy, since I've looked for it several times and have been unable to locate. Thanks.