Scheduled Forum Posts

Scheduled Forum Posts

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 11

Dear All,

Is there a way that one can log on to a forum, create a post and specify when it should be posted (say I could specify that this message should be posted on Monday, 9 a.m.). It would be a handy feature.

Regards,

George

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Scheduled Forum Posts

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is an experimental setting (which I haven't  ever tested) called timed posts which you can set in Site admin>Plugins>Activity modules>Forum and then it will display a date when you can display the post from/to.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Deleted user

by Richard Price -

Hi George, I use the News forum on the front page as suggested by Mary, with a word-for-the-week scheduled to display months in advance.

The options are not as accurate as you wish, (no time option) but I do set it to display Monday to Sunday or single days and it works. Perhaps you could write it at 0900 on Monday and just set the expiry date.

If you are logged in as an admin, you do not see the timed version, so looks like a pile of posts. View as a student or other user to double check that the post showing is as expected.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Price

by Deleted user -

Hi Richard,

So you cannot set when it will be posted, but only what times you make visible. I guess I am looking for a setting like make it visible on Monday at 9 and keep it there for ever. We have a lot of people who go away at conferences and other engagements and it would be a handy feature if they could write the post, specify when it goes live and then forget about the course while they are away (life is hard enough at EU project meetings without having to worry about your students back home as well)smile

Regards,

George

by Deleted user -

Hi Richard,

So you cannot set when it will be posted, but only what times you make visible. I guess I am looking for a setting like make it visible on Monday at 9 and keep it there for ever. We have a lot of people who go away at conferences and other engagements and it would be a handy feature if they could write the post, specify when it goes live and then forget about the course while they are away (life is hard enough at EU project meetings without having to worry about your students back home as well)smile

Regards,

George

In reply to Deleted user

by Richard Price -

George, I am wondering if I need to rephrase my answer.

"I guess I am looking for a setting like make it visible on Monday at 9 and keep it there for ever"

- No setting exists to have it shown from 9am. It would be visible at the start of the selected day. After midnight.
- Could be a handy addition though.

To reiterate: To the student, a Forum News item is invisible before its Start Date and disappears again at the end of it's End Date.
You can see that Trolling is our Word for the Week, but an item I wanted on longer has disappeared from the student view already.

Current Student View within their moodle.
So, I can edit it which shows you how you can adjust the settings. (No time option).
Start and End Date are available to pick once Enable is ticked.
Editing the Forum News Item to change the end date. Start date is also seen.

And the result as seen by a student..
Student View of Moodle after editing an end date.

by Deleted user -

Hi Richard,

No worries, my fault entirely. I will have a go at making a small modification and report back (would guess that it is about adding a few more form elements; if Moodle can pick up the time and automatically submit your post to the forum, I see no reason why it can be done at midnight but not any other time in the day. Also, I will try and get rid of expiry date (at least in the forums page, you wouldn't want your post to expire, would you?)

Regards,

George

In reply to Deleted user

by Swenja Kopp -

Dear All,

I am reading your discussion with great interest. We are also trying to work with the scheduled forum posts (in the social format), and face a problem: We use forced subscription so that our participants receive an email notification when something new is posted. But the email notification system does not seem to work when we schedule our forum posts, and set a future date.  The content is visible in the forum, but no email notification. What could be the solution?

Best regards,
Swenja

In reply to Swenja Kopp

by Albert Leatherman -

Hi Swenja, did you ever get this issue resolved? If so, what was your solution? Thanks.

In reply to Albert Leatherman

by Chad Bergeron -

Has this been resolved? If not, is there a tracker item, or should one be created?

In reply to Deleted user

by Richard Price -

George,

The expiry date is already an option. You can leave it un-ticked to prevent expiry. I wait with interest to see what you get working. Do please message me if you manage it.

Regards
Richard.