Display for answer to matching questions

Display for answer to matching questions

by Nikae Perkinson -
Number of replies: 5

Moodle 2.3

Is there any way to change the way the answers to matching questions are displayed? 

Many of my questions and/or answers are numerical and the dash looks like a negative sign.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nikae Perkinson

Re: Display for answer to matching questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry no. I had not thought of that potential problem before.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by WIRIS team -
Picture of Plugin developers
Tim, do you know if there is any issue in the tracker related to this? We have been trying to find it without success.
In the screenshot attached you can see a good example of how confusing this behaviour can be for mathematical answers.
Attachment moodle_matching_separators_dash_maths.png
In reply to WIRIS team

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know of an issue for this. Please make one.

I guess an arrow would be a relatively safe character, though still subject to possible confusion in some obscure circumstances.

(If you really want to control this, write an nice explained worked solution in the general feedback, and turn of automatic display of the right answer.)

In reply to Nikae Perkinson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have never liked the way that answers to matching questions are displayed in Moodle. See my thoughts and proposals in MDL-29065.

The current display does not take into account the fact that the items in the matching pairs can be numbers(as mentioned in this discussion) or whole sentences. The assumption is that matching items are words or groups of words.

Joseph