Use one assignment in multiple gradebook categories

Use one assignment in multiple gradebook categories

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

We want to have Assigment A (f.e. marked at 80%) to show in two (or more) gradebook categories.

Is this possible?

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Use one assignment in multiple gradebook categories

by Simon Cheng -

I'd like to do this as well. Please post updates if you figure out a solution.

by Bob Puffer -

Would creating a manual grade item for the second category and having its calculation formula equal the assignment grade from the first category work for you?

by Mark McKay -

What's the use case for this? By definition, categorization is single membership. What you're describing is more like tagging. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. Bob's idea is interesting, but I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

In reply to Mark McKay

by Simon Cheng -

I'm not sure what Richard wants to do, but I'll explain what I'd like (sorry if I'm hijacking the thread!).

Our marks are divided into four categories:

(K)nowledge and Understanding

(T)hinking and Inquiry

(C)ommunication

(A)pplication

Each assessment (test, essay, presentation, etc) has questions reflecting some or all of these categories. The final grade is then calculated based on the weighted averages of the four categories, not the actual assessment grades.

For example, let's say a course has just two tests.

Test1 = K1 + T1 + C1 + A1

Test2 = K2 + T2 + C2 + A2

Final Mark = w1(K1+K2) + w2(T1+T2) + w3(C1+C2) + w4(A1+A2), where w1, w2... are the weights for each category.

A workaround that we're looking at is just having four separate marks for each assessment (e.g. Test1-Knowledge, Test1-Thinking, Test1-Communication, Test1-Application). This allows us to get a proper final mark. The only thing we're missing is a calculated mark for each individual assessment.

I hope this makes sense. Moodle and grade books in general are all new to me, so thanks for your patience and expertise!

Richard, if you're looking for a solution to a different problem, please let us know. I can start another thread if need be, or just use our pseudo-solution.

In reply to Simon Cheng

Exactly my point Simon.

We figured out how this can be done, by adding a grade-item.

Say you have assignment with ID 'report'.

Then add a grade-item to your grade-list and give it the calculation =report

This way the grade will appear twice in the grade-book.

Another way to do this is using rubrics btw.

If you like this answer  please help me with the other problem: how do you get the grade to appear in the grade-book of another course?

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=230443

Help me out by voting for this tracker please!

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40152

In reply to Mark McKay

Hello Mark,

We are trying hard to make extensive reports in Moodle. We want the student, teacher, mentor, parent and others to have a good view of student progress in the grade-book.

One test/assignment can be part of multiple progress reports. An assignment can count in the grade-book for the category 'assignments to complete in year one' AND the category 'assignments done outside school'.

Completing this particular assignment can result in the grade-book category 'year ONE' to a total score of 77%, while it can result in category 'out of school' into 32%.

We also want to build extensive reports in different grade-books, hence my tracker here:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40152