Matching Questions in Moodle Lesson

Matching Questions in Moodle Lesson

by Racquel Biem -
Number of replies: 5

I have made a matching question in a Moodle Lesson but when the student answers the question it consistently says that the answer is incorrect.  I have tried it multiple times with the correct answers and it still says the response is incorrect.  Is this a common issue or do I have a setting wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Racquel Biem

Re: Matching Questions in Moodle Lesson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Racquel,

Which exact version of Moodle are you using?

Screenshots do not help much in this case, as the problem may lie with some formatting issue when you entered your questions. We had a report of a similar case recently, in this discussion but, after private exchange, it seems that the problem "disappeared".

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Bonnie Dilling -

Hello Joseph and Racquel,

I was the one with the issue previously.  I haven't fully figured out what caused the problem or the fix.  However my thoughts were that it was related to "copy/paste" from word.  I was creating vocabulary matching questions and using the copy/paste from the word doc. 

I had read on another forum post that, that can cause problems with the lesson questions.  So I then redid the work this time using copy/paste from note pad and from an internet screen where I had the words posted.  But that still didn't seem to fix it.  So my thought was that even though I was redoing the work - the bad "code" from word was still in there.

I ended up deleting the entire lesson and making another lesson from scratch.  In my case this wasn't much of a problem, as my first three content pages where simply embed code from quizlet - flashcards, etc.  After making the lesson from scratch and not using word as my source for the questions, then my matching questions worked fine.

As I knew it should because I had already created other lessons using the matching questions and they worked fine.

Not sure if this helps in your situation but this is what I found that solved my problem.

Hope this gives some insight.

Bonnie

by Racquel Biem -

After reading Bonnie's reply I realized that I had cut and pasted from word for this matching question as well.  I deleted the question and did not copy and paste for any of the text and the problem has disappeared for me as well.

Thanks for the help.

In reply to Racquel Biem

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You should never ever copy-paste from Word into Moodle's HTML editor. It's the surest way to copy hidden formatting codes which almost invariably result in disaster, as the case at hand.

If you do have text already typed in your word processor or text you want to copy from the internet, before pasting it into Moodle's text editor, you can use an excellent utility: Puretext.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That's holy true! Yes

To mitigate those issues at least paste your copy into the Moodle editor using CTRL+SHIFT+V and not just CTRL+V.

HTH,
Matteo