After Spam Account Protection, Current Students Cannot Log-in

After Spam Account Protection, Current Students Cannot Log-in

by Sam Geppi -
Number of replies: 7

I was getting a lot of spam account signups because of the "email self registration" being on .. after I turned those things off, current users are having a problem signing in .. plus my home page is no longer the home page, it goes to "login/index.php"|

I am not sure how to restore the home page and let previous users accounts work. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Geppi

Re: After Spam Account Protection, Current Students Cannot Log-in

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Sam, I too get these, and I have made a Tracker "feature request" so that it would be easy to delete these.  

Since you made a new post, I am going to be a little redundant with what I posted elsewhere.

"Please consider going to Moodle Tracker and voting for MDL-19190.  If this enhancement is added, then one would be able to bulk-filter users who are not in any course, then delete them."

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sam,

To enable your current users to continue logging in, you need to keep the email-based self-registration plugin enabled in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication and just disable self registration under common settings.

To restore your home page, you need to un-check the box 'Force users to login' in Settings > Site administration > Security > Site policies.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Sam Geppi -

thank you - you put "and just disable self registration under common settings."

Where / how do I do this. 

Also, after keeping the email-based self-registration plugin enabled the "allowed email domains" to a domain a new user would not have. 

would this also be effective or would this also prevent current users? 

it looks like it would also prevent as it seems to " restrict all new email addresses to particular domains".. presumably not current ones. 

thanks  a lot

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The common settings are in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication under the table of available authentication plugins. See the documentation Managing authentication for a screenshot.

The allowed email domain setting only affects new users, and not current users.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Sam Geppi -

thanks.

So, I leave the plug-in enabled (with the eye open), then disable it at the settinggs level? 

What I did before was turn off the "eye" AND disable.. what about at "class level" -- I need to keep it enabled, so a "key" is visible at the home page - or does it matter. 

Also:
"The allowed email domain setting only affects new users, and not current users".

So, having this set would prevent anyone in the future from setting up an account unless it had (for example) "samgeppiwebsite.com" as the domain,.. correct?

If so, that in itself would all but guarantee there would be no future spam accounts.. given that I own that domain name.  

is that correct?.. I want to understand the script and want to make the simplest, yet most comprehensive changes. 

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Sam Geppi -

So I also see that students are not getting the updates from the forum now thate I have made these changes .. can that be right? 

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Helen Foster -

I leave the plug-in enabled (with the eye open), then disable it at the settinggs level?

Yes, you leave the eye open for Email-based self-registration and set 'Self registration' to Disable.

what about at "class level"

Here you are referring to Enrolments, which is something different from Authentication.

"The allowed email domain setting only affects new users, and not current users".

So, having this set would prevent anyone in the future from setting up an account unless it had (for example) "samgeppiwebsite.com" as the domain,.. correct?

Yes, that is correct.

So I also see that students are not getting the updates from the forum now thate I have made these changes ..

This sounds completely unrelated to the authentication settings.