forum ratings not averaged

forum ratings not averaged

by Brian Holt -
Number of replies: 4

I've searched and haven't found what I'm looking for in getting average ratings of forum posts into the gradebook.

I just confirmed that the forum setting allows students to rate posts and that the ratings are to be averaged. 

I'm seeing that students are in fact rating each other.

But what isn't happening, at least I don't see it, the ratings are averages.  They appear to be integers.

I'm using my own scale that I created, a scale of 1-4. 

I don't see any options related to decimal reporting, but could that be it? 

Thanks for your help

In reply to Brian Holt

Re: forum ratings not averaged

by Brian Holt -

I'm hoping for a little clarity regarding my question above.

I found this tracker that seems related, but it appears to have been fixed a year ago: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30955

If I'm using 2.3, why is it that the ratings aren't beeing averaged correctly?  Why are they presented as integers, and not including decimal points?  For example, in a test case, a post was given 2 rates of 9 and 6, summing to 15, making the rating 7.5

Instead, I get a rounding up to 8. 

I'd like it to read 7.5

Cheers

In reply to Brian Holt

by Marty Soupcoff -

Possible easy problem/fix: In your gradebook, select Settings tab, check what is set in the Overall decimal points field. Do you have it set to zero?

Possible more complex problem/fix: If easy fix didn't work, is this forum using a custom scale? You mentioned in original post you were using a scale but in second post you just mentioned numbers.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Yogesh Nahar -

Hi Marty, I am facing a similar issue. I have a forum with 'Sum of ratings' as aggregate type and I am using a custom scale I created (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,20,30,40,120). All student postings have been rated and they should all add up to around 100 or 110. 

But the gradebook shows 120 (max grade) for all students. Any advice?

Thank you.

In reply to Brian Holt

by Michael Hughes -

Hi, yes I found this too. I wanted a custom scale 1-5 but in the end I just selected 5 as maximum grade in the forum scale setting (now my own scale) and then I got real values, not nearest integers.