Cant save quiz setup - grade boundaries issue

Cant save quiz setup - grade boundaries issue

by Usman Arshad -
Number of replies: 8

When entering grade boundries (for example *0%) i get the following eror message:

Feedback grade boundaries must be between 0% and 100%. The value you entered in boundary 1 is out of range.

I tried it with and without the % symbol too but no luck.

Kind regards

Usman

Attachment quiz grade boundary msg.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Usman Arshad

Re: Cant save quiz setup - grade boundaries issue

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

80% != 80

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Tim,

1.-

if I enter "80", I get the message:

Feedback grade boundaries must be between 0% and 100%. The value you entered in boundary 1 is out of range.

but if I enter "eighty"

I get the message:

Feedback grade boundaries must be either a percentage or a number. The value you entered in boundary 1 is not recognised.

This is not logical.

2.-

In a new feature I am developing for the Questionnaire add-on, I copied the Quiz Overall Feedback code. I can't remember what I left intact and what I changed, but I made sure it accepts either a number "80" or a percentage "80%".

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you enter a number without the % sign, then it should be used as a value between 0 and the maximum quiz grade.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Tim,

Why am I getting this kind of error? It does not make sense.

screenshot #1

by Tim Hunt -

What is the quiz graded out of? If the maximum grade is 100 (or anything greater than 75) then that is OK. If the maximum is <= 75 then the validation error is correct.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks, Tim, now I understand. Actually, in the Quiz Overall score the "Grade boundary" fields work on a dual system : percentage and/or total quiz score points.

Case #1.- If a quiz total grade is set to 100, of course, percentage and points are the same, and the Grade boundary fields will accept points as well as percentages (80 or 80%).

Case #2.- If a quiz total grade is set to 10 (the default value - and I wonder why the default value is 10 rather than 100), then percentage and points are the same, and the Grade boundary fields will accept points as well as percentages. The following sequence is accepted: 80%, 6, 40%. Strange! Upon saving the "6" value will be automatically changed to 60%.

Case #3.- If a quiz total grade is set to 20, then the following sequence is not accepted: 12, 8, 4 is not accepted and we get the error message "Feedback grade boundaries must be between 0% and 100%. The value you entered in boundary 1 is out of range."

The online help says "By specifying additional grade boundaries (as a percentage or as a number), the text shown can depend on the grade obtained."

This is not really clear, hence the confusion. Nowhere does it mention that when a grade boundary is entered as a number it cannot exceed the max grade score of the quiz.

Joseph

by Usman Arshad -

Hi Tim and Joseph

Our issue is case 1 - the maximum grade is "100%", it simply won't accept "80" or "80%" and i still get the same validation error:

In reply to Usman Arshad

by Usman Arshad -

Hi again

After looking again at the Quiz activity, we found the problem.

The issue was caused by the Maximum grade setting which can be found on the Edit quiz page (where questions are created).  The default value is 10.00, we changed it to 100 and it was working fine. 

The weird thing is that in Moodles settings the Maximum grade is set to 100 by default for all users.  This setting can be found under the following path:

Attachment quiz max grade.png