How to sell courses

How to sell courses

by Hal Forman -
Number of replies: 2

I am currently creating moodle courses based on my nearly 20 years of teaching high school English Literature.  These are high quality courses - at least I like to think so wink - and I want to make sure I do it right.

I want to sell my courses to educational institutions. I'm not concerned with using Paypal or selling online as I will have a full time salesperson to call on prospective customers.  

At minimum, I believe I need a moodle site and a moodle hub, right?

When I get a customer, I want to copy the course to their moodle, but I also want to prevent my customers from transferring my courses to any other moodles.  How can I do this?

Thank you in advance for your help, it is appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hal Forman

Re: How to sell courses

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Hal

You can create your courses in moodle when any customers interested to buy your course he can paid to you from some external payment system. As soon they made the payment redirect him to your moodle site where they can manually create their account and then send him a mail about his username and password of his account along with Course enrollment key to enrol in the desired course. By doing this he himself enrol it in the course and can study it over there.

You even doesn't required to copy your course at his moodle site and no threat of even transferring it to anybody else.

In reply to Hal Forman

Re: How to sell courses

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know if there is any foolproof way to prevent people passing copies of your course on.  I can think of a few  ways you might make it difficult for people to do it. For example, you could make a template of your course with @@schoolname@@ scattered throughout the text descriptions etc in appropriate places. Then before you pass a copy onto a customer make a copy of template course and use global search and replace to swap out school name for the real school name. 

But personally I wouldn't bother.  I think just adding copyright warnings and notices here and there is enough.

Moving along, the other option to selling copies and using hubs, is to set your moodle server up as an LTI provider. Then they would use your server but not have a copy of your course.

Also, if you haven't already you might want to check out courseindex.com

Just a few ideas. Good luck.