Using Manager Role at Category Level / Login As (M2.2)

Using Manager Role at Category Level / Login As (M2.2)

by Blair F. -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In Moodle 2.2, I am trying to assign certain people the Manager role, at the Category Level, and allow them to "Login As" a specific student.  

I have ensured that the 'loginas' ability is set to 'Allow' in the Manager Role and I've used "Check Permissions" on this individual to ensure that they have the right to Login As, and it all looks like it SHOULD work.  But it doesn't.  

When I look at the documentation for the Manager Role, there is a difference in the 2.2 and the 2.3 documentation, in that 2.3 mentions assigning the role at the category level and 2.2 does not.  Not sure what that means, exactly, since I AM able to add it at the category level.

Any ideas why I can't get this Login As to work as I'd like it to?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Blair F.

Re: Using Manager Role at Category Level / Login As (M2.2)

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Blair,

I just added the following notes to the Manager role documentation, which I hope will explain things for you:

• A category-level manager will not have as many capabilities as a site-level manager, since certain capabilities can only be applied in the system context i.e. via a system role
  • Regarding the capability to login as another user, for courses within the category that they manage, a category-level manager can only login as as another course participant and browse within that course only

If you require further clarification, please let us know.

Regarding the difference in the 2.2 and 2.3 documentation for the Manager role, I just checked and found everything in the 2.3 docs applying to 2.2. When people contribute documentation, it's normally only added to the docs for supported stable versions i.e. 2.3 and 2.4.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Using Manager Role at Category Level / Login As (M2.2)

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Thanks, Helen.  I want to make sure I have this clear:

Anyone assigned a Manager Role, at a category level, cannot be given the ability to "Login As" any particular student participating in a course within that category, even if "Login As" for the Manager Role is set to "allow?" I would have to make them a manager of each individual course within that category?

I'm hoping I have that wrong.