can i create quiz module by coding(php)?

can i create quiz module by coding(php)?

by sama masoudi -
Number of replies: 17

hi,i want to know, can i create quiz module by coding(php)?

for my thesis need to write code .. i want create environment that assessment of student's learning..and i need to open source e-learning environment

i dont know moodle very good... please please help me

thanks

sama.masoudi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sama masoudi

Re: can i create quiz module by coding(php)?

by Ray Morris -

There already IS a quiz module, so I don't know why you'd write one.
Is there some problem with the existing quiz module you want to solve?

If you wanted it to be able to handle some type of question that it doesn't already, you could look at the existing question types and make a new type bsed on an existing type.

If you're wanting to write ccode for no reason than a thesis, I'd suggest starting with the questions "what code would be useful, and why?"  The issue tracker has a list of things that would be useful to write. So then ask "Of those, which problems am I able to solve?"  One student did a ton of work on the SCORM module over the summer, based on issues that were in the tracker.

In reply to Ray Morris

by sama masoudi -

hello Ray...thank you... i dont know why anybody dont answer my question in almost forums..smile..only you answered me..

my subject in thesis is: Proposing an Intelligent Method based on Semantic Technology for Learning Assessment in
an E-Learning System

i want implementation type of question with semantic technology that  Learning Assessment(with php coding).. and need to an open source e-learning system... i already select moodle for it...is my select good?(i dont know)... and for my thesis i think that cant use from exist question type(only help from exist) and i should write it...because for propose ,it(dont write) is not good...please please help me..what i do?

In reply to sama masoudi

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You still have not told us what you are trying to do in understandable terms. If I am a student, and I sit down at a computer to learn something using your new system, what do I see? How does that help me learn?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by sama masoudi -

hi,i explain it: A Plan is represented in programming as a set of code
segments that together perform a task in solving a problem. Plans may be a single statement (e.g. Increment Plan), or may be more complex, consisting of several sub-plans e.g. Sort Plan.

Plan composition understanding is crucial for novice programmers to correctly put
together the pieces of a program to solve a given problem. Plans are template-like
solutions used in problem solving.

i want to test student with questions about: code be correct but plans allocate wrong place in the program..and he/she should Distinguish plan place or ....

thank you

In reply to sama masoudi

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

OK. I think I udnerstand that. (I am struggling to read your English, but I can't really criticise. I can't speak Persian at all.)

In Moodle, I think that there are two different ways that you could build what you want.

One way to do it would be to make a new question type plug-in. If you make a question-type, then your programming activities would form part of a Moodle quiz.

The other way would be to create a new activity module. If you do this, then your programming acitivites would be complete activities on thier own within a Moodle course, like a Forum or Wiki or Quiz.

You need to think about which of those approaches would be most appropriate for students an teachers.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by sama masoudi -

Thanks Tim for  help... excues me..my english is not good...i try

i dont undrestand that you say :"If you make a question-type, then your programming activities would form part of a Moodle quiz"

and " if i create a new activity module,then your programming acitivites would be complete activities on thier own within a Moodle course, like a Forum or Wiki or Quiz" what's your mean?

Mr.Tin, i am not professional like you.. and i dont know moodle good..and i dont have many time for thesis..then can i do it? and which one is appropriate؟

and please tell me where do i start? Thanks Tim

In reply to sama masoudi

by Tim Hunt -

It is your thesis, so it needs to be your work. I should not do it for you.

Also, you know what you are trying to do, I don't.

How much code do you have already? Have you writted the code to manipulate coding plans, and grade them, and so on?

Once you have some working code, we can talk about how to itegrate it into Moodle.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by sama masoudi -

ok i know..it is my thesis... it is NOT my mean... I want to do it alone..

but i want that you answer my question in the last post

In reply to sama masoudi

by Tim Hunt -

"which one is [more] appropriate?"

As I said before, the answer to that question depends on how you expect students and teachers to use your activity. I don't know enough about the activity to be able to judge.

As I explained before, the reason to choose one or the other is the question "Do you want your activity to be part of Moodle quizzes, with other question?" If yes, do a question tpe. If no, do an activity module.

There is another reason to choose one or the other. Making an activity module is easier to start with. You can just copy http://docs.moodle.org/dev/NEWMODULE_Documentation, and very quickly get to the "Hello world" milestone. Activity modules are quite independent, so you don't have to understand many other parts of Moodle to create one. In comparison, creating a qusetion type is quite hard until you learn a lot.

So, my guess is that you should create an activity module.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by sama masoudi -

Thanks Tim

i have question..first should i write program?? then integrate with Moodle?

or for write i should use this link?

my mean is ::: Is link for integrate? or is it for coding?

excues me

In reply to sama masoudi

by Tim Hunt -

I think that either approach would work. You could

1. write the program separately, then integrate with Moodle, or
  2. you could build it as a Moodle module from the start.

Since you are not familiar with Moodle, 1. might be the better choice, since you can get started without having to learn a lot of Moodle concepts. (For developers who are already familiar with Moodle, 2. is better.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by sama masoudi -

hello

OK , i select first approach..

i already write my program .... and i saw activity module's format ( http://docs.moodle.org/dev/NEWMODULE_Documentation )

but, once i will finish my program , i don't understand  where do i put my module in activity module??

Where do I start??

Thank you Mr.Hunt   please answer me

In reply to Tim Hunt

by sama masoudi -

hello OK ,Mr.Hunt, i select first approach.. i already write my program .... and i saw activity module's format ( http://docs.moodle.org/dev/NEWMODULE_Documentation ) but, once i will finish my program , i don't understand where do i put my module in activity module?? Where do I start?? Thank you... please answer me

In reply to sama masoudi

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If it is a question type you put it in 

question\type\yourquestiontype

Why not put your code on github.com then it will be more clear what you are trying to do.

Your English is better than my grasp of any other language. I spent several years studying Spanish as an adult and I can hardly get further than asking for two beers.

In reply to Marcus Green

by sama masoudi -

hi Marcus

Thanks for answer

your mean about question\type\yourquestiontype is create new question type in moodle..?

said me create activity module is more easy than create new question type..is it right?

do you create it?

i saw github.com but i don't know what is it...i like to put my code in moodle because i spent time in moodle...

please help me..what should i do?

In reply to sama masoudi

by Ray Morris -

hello Ray...thank you... i dont know why anybody dont answer my question in almost forums....only you answered me..

There is a well known paper by Eric S Raymond which helped me a lot with getting my questions answered.  As Tim can attest, sometimes I don't follow the advice, and I don't normally get the answers I want when I don't follow the suggestions.  When I do follow this advice, even world famous programmers like Linus Torvalds and Vint Cerf have answered my questions.  Since it's been so useful to me, it might also be useful to you:

ESR- How to Ask Questions

The author, Eric S. Raymond, is well known in his own right and he has answered my emails when I follow the advice in the paper above.