Moodle 2.5+: How to generate a quiz with some missed questions at previous attempts and few new questions!

Moodle 2.5+: How to generate a quiz with some missed questions at previous attempts and few new questions!

by Knight Detroja -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

At each session of a quiz, I would like to re-quiz the student the questions (in random order) that he or she missed in his or her previous attempts. Also, I would like to randomly introduce few new questions the a student has never faced before. Most of these questions would be multiple choice. However, I am also open to consider other assignment types. How can I make this happen? I sincerely, appreciate your input.

Knight.D.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Knight Detroja

Re: Moodle 2.5+: How to generate a quiz with some missed questions at previous attempts and few new questions!

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It's a really nice idea, but Moodle doesn't have this feature at the moment. Tim Hunt, Moodle quiz engine Architect and all round Guru on the topic has an idea for something similar 

http://tjhunt.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/what-i-want-to-build-next.html

And a Google Summer of Code student has been accepted to work on something similar

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=226228#p982322

But there is no code at the moment.

In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Moodle 2.5+: How to generate a quiz with some missed questions at previous attempts and few new questions!

by Knight Detroja -

Hello Marcus,

Thank you for your input. I've another scenario that may also work: At a quiz attempt, I would like an user to be able to rate a question as DIFFICULT, AVERAGE, or EASY. The successive quiz should pull 50% random questions that were rated as DIFFICULT, or AVERAGE, and add 50% new questions that a user has never attempted. Would this be possible in Moodle? Do you know of any LMS that would be capable of this feature?

Sincerely,

Harrison.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That is also a concept I have thought about for revision purposes and is a good idea. However Moodle does not support this. I am not aware of any LMS would/is be capable of this feature and I have tried many.

In fact I am surprised by the lack of sophistication in all the quiz engines I have tried over the years, particularly when it comes to revision features.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -

I should add that the Moodle quiz engine is by far the most sophisticated I have tried but I always seem to think of juuuuust one more little feature that would be nice....

In reply to Marcus Green

by Knight Detroja -

I am working at a community clinic as a primary care provider. I did some basic Java programming and HTML more than a decade ago! I can not believe I am talking in decade-terms now. I see that you are professor and also have authored several projects. So, I believe you would be the best person to answer the question: To be able to develop a Moodle extension or modify an existing extension what do you believe I should learn? PHP, Mysql, or anything else? Any good recommendations of where (preferably online, self-pace) can I learn that? Thank you.

Currently, Flash Card Set by Tomasz Muras allows some features that I am looking for. It places a card in a deck based on whether a user misses it or gets the answer. It allows a user to practice flash cards using Leitner system. I would like to incorporate that feature while generating a quiz.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Knight,

The Leitner system is a great way to learn/revise study material. It would be great if a "Leitner" option could be made available to the Quiz activity, along the lines of Tomasz Muras's Flash Card Set. In the meantime, have you actually used the Flash Card Set module?

Joseph