New Enrolment Plugin: Waitlist Enrolment

New Enrolment Plugin: Waitlist Enrolment

by Flotter Totte -
Number of replies: 23
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

we are in the process in finalizing the "Waitlist Enrolment" plugin.

The enrolmetn process is designed as follows:

1. course admin sets max seats
  2. users clicks on course name in course list
  3. user arrives on enrolment page.In case there are still free seats, users get enroled (and get enrolment email if activated). In case there are no free seats anymore, users are put on waiting list.
  4. If there are users on the waiting list and seats become available (other users un-enrol or get un-enrolled/ course admin increases number of seats) users get enroled automatically (and receive email if activated).

You can find the plugin and related information here: http://www.emeneo.com/em2/course/category.php?id=2

Any bug report/ help/ comment is very welcome!

Flotter

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Flotter Totte

Re: New Enrolment Plugin: Waitlist Enrolment

by Flotter Totte -

The plugin is now available in the moodle plugin DB. Please take a look at: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=enrol_waitlist

by Liz Katz -

I'm going to try it out!

by Liz Katz -

PLEASE. How do I see who is on the waitlist?

by Liz Katz -

How do I see who is on a wait list?!

In reply to Liz Katz

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Liz,

thanks for testing the newly released waitlist plugin smile

The waitlist is pocessed automatically but there is no way currently to view who is on the waitlist (except you go to the database)

Of course this is an interesting new feature! I could imagine that even more things could be useful, such as:

- reomove people from waitlist

- change position within waitlist

- send mail to users on waitlist.

I will send you a pm where you could post an enhancement idea.

Thanks for testing and for your input!

Flotter

by Liz Katz -

Bug report:  Eventhough the plugin is enabled on the site it has suddenly vanished from the class where it was in use! It is not even an option in the drop-down menu of enrollment options to add. 

Liz

In reply to Liz Katz

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Liz,

came accross your post accidentally, somehow I am not updated about new posts here anymore. Will check I must change a setting or so.

Regarding your bug: This seems very strange to me. What do you mean it suddenly vanished? Did you or anyone else do any action in the system which could have triggered this vanishing? System upgrade, course change or anything in this direction?

You said the plugin is activated on site level but disappeared here, right?

Did this also happen to other courses?

Flotter

by Liz Katz -

Hi Flotter,

Thank you for replying. I apologize, but I can no longer remember the specifics. After various trouble-shooting steps, I decided to remove the plugin for now. The courses often have manual enrolments in additon to self-enrols. Given that, I just couldn't tell clearly who was on the waitlist and exactly when the plugin would enrol them. 

LIz

Liz

In reply to Liz Katz

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Liz and all other (potential) Waitlist Plugin users,

it is correct that currently there is no way to view who is on the waitlist (except going to the DB table directly). The moodle cron will work through the waitlist fist in first out.

It is also important to note that the max. seats and related waitlist refers only to the waitlist plugin.

Regarding the bug I could not reproduce it, so maybe it's not a bug. If anyone can reproduce it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Flotter

In reply to Liz Katz

by Francis Vendrell -

Hello,

I suggest that when a user is added to the waiting list, an e-mail is send to the teacher or administrator with the name of the new user and also a list of all users of the waiting list.

by Flotter Totte -

A new version of this plugin is available for download:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=enrol_waitlist

What's new:

- works with moodle 2.5

- now also manual waitlist enrolment possible

- German lang file

Please report any bugs!

Flotter Totte

by Greig Frankham -

Hi Flotter

I'm new to Moodle, and have just installed 2.6 with the Essentials Theme.

Your waitlist is a great idea, and was something I wanted from the get go. The only I might suggest, and this is what I would have liked is rather than enroll them into the course if a vacancy appears, What I would like it to do is the following:

1/ The user attempts to enroll

2/ If the class has vacancies, then the user is enrolled

3/ If the class is full, the user is advised the class is full and suggests they go onto a waitlist for the NEXT class. They are advised that if they decide to pre-pay for the next class, when the Teacher opens the next class for enrolment they will automatically be enrolled. Alternatively, if they decide not to pay, they will be notified when the next class is opened for enrolment and can make the decision then. They need to be advised that by not electing to prepay, they may miss out if others enroll and pay before them.

Obviously this is for classes that repeat. I'm looking at short courses that may run anywhere from two lessons to ten lessons. It helps to become a sales tool as well as an educational one.

What are you thoughts on this?

Greig

In reply to Greig Frankham

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Greig,

this sounds interesting and I will think about how this could be integrated into the waitlist-enrolment plugin. Just one question: how should the payment be realized in your process?

Greetings,

Flotter

by Greig Frankham -

I guess there are two things it would need.

1/ Firstly it would require the teacher or admin, or whoever had to authority to nominate the next class that waitlisted students move into.

I guess if it was a class that repeated, it could have a list of the next set of classes with radio buttons for example, so the student has a choice of which class they would like to attend. Just in case the next class was at a time unsuitable, yet another class time was suitable.

2/ As far as payment goes, I would presume it would again need an option set by the administrator, depending on their system. Maybe the student has a choice. They can have two options for example. Paypal or manual payment collection.

If Paypal, it takes them to a screen that allows them to pay and be secured into the class. (I presume this plug-in would work with a Paypal plug-in, unless it is better to add paypal to this plug-in)

If manual, they are asked to confirm their user details, especially their email address and phone number, and a confirm button sends them an email saying they have asked to pay for a course and an admin person will contact them shortly for payment, and it also sends admin(or who ever is responsible) an email advising the student would like someone to call to take payment. The admin takes the payment over the phone and  manually confirms the enrolment in that class.

To save confusion, the automatically generated email that goes to admin would also have to show the course the student selected from the list of available courses. When the admin confirms the enrolment, an email is sent to the student advising them of the course enrolment and the dates the course will be available etc.

Does this sound like a reasonable scenario?

by Jeff White -

I have encountered several oddities. 

1) If a user signs up for a class that is full and later gets a seat he is given the enrollment duration with the start times at the time he signs up for the course and is placed in the waitlist instead of the time he is given a seat. 

2) The inactivity plugin un-enrolls users incorrectly. I have seen several users access a course within 5 days and the inactivity is set to 7 days. The cronjob logs this: 

Running cron for enrol_waitlist...
... started 10:36:06. Current memory use 17.3MB.
unenrolling user 10877 from course 768 as they have did not access course for 604800 days

by Jeff White -

Slight correction needed: 

('/enrol/self/editenrolment.php', $params); in lib.php

change to

('/enrol/editenrolment.php', $params);

by Julian CP -

I can't download the plugin.

In reply to Julian CP

by Albert Leatherman -

Is there a version of this plugin that works with the newer version of Moodle? Thanks.

by Flotter Totte -

Hi all,

I have put the latest version online.

Any comments & support welcome!

Flotter

by Rafael R. -

Great plugin!

I'm just waiting for the next version, compatible with Moodle 3.0

Thanks!

Custom course fields

by Flotter Totte -

Great news,

Version 3.2 of this plugin has just been released and it comes with a really special feature: Custom course fields. This means you can now define custom course fields for your course via the this plugín:

The custom course fields can already be used for reporting purposes.

We are currently in the process of also publishing a related search page to the moodle plugin repository which will look something like this:

If you want to take a look at it in advance, contact me.

Happy Teaching!

Re: Custom course fields

by Flotter Totte -

Important note:

Plugin compatibility has been tested for moodle 3.1 (not 3.2 as written above)!