Can this modul be used to Assess Peers and not Submissions?

Can this modul be used to Assess Peers and not Submissions?

by Susan Mangan -
Number of replies: 9

I have 2 functionality questions.  Both of which I don't believe exist as I've read through the documentation, forums, and played around with the settings, etc. but want to post just in case I am missing something!!

Scenario: Students working within groups complete an offline project.  They now have to assess each other using a rubric based on their experience working with one another (each student assesses each member of their group).

Q.1. Can each student be assigned more than one peer to assess, based on the groups they belong to?

Q.2. Is it possible to set the Workshop module up to enable assessments on peers without having any submissions?

Currently we are using the Feedback module to accomplish this but there are many drawbacks to this as it makes for a fair amount of manual work once the feedback is done to calculate the final grade and then input it into the gradebook.

I was so optimistic about the new Rubric grading functionality!!  But even if I set up an assignment with a rubric and allow students to do the grading, it will still only allow for each student to be graded only once sad

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Susan Mangan

Re: Can this modul be used to Assess Peers and not Submissions?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Susan

I believe you can use Workshop for your scenario. Your students will have to "submit" something, though. I mean, there must be a submission record for every participant in order to be assessed by others. You may want to ask students to submit an empty form (no submission text, no attachment), with just some title filled (e.g. their name, the team name or whatever).

Make sure the workshop is set to Separate groups mode. Then use the Random allocator and set the number of reviews per submission to a number higher the number of members in a team (group). This will lead to a situation that the allocator will assign each "submission" to all other members of the group to assess.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Susan Mangan -

Thank you!  This seems to work well.  Except for the fact that the final grade isn't coming out as an average of the rubric scores, and I can't seem to to find a place to change the way the rubric aggregates.  I'll keep looking and testing but if anyone sees this post and happens to know please post!  thanks in advance!

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Susan Mangan -

Just as an FYI in case anyone else has the same problems and stumbles upon this thread, after re-reading the documentation I've managed to work out an average of peer scores by making sure the assessment weight remains at 1 (I think this is the default?) and if using a Rubric, there has to be a value for zero or it doesn't seem to want to calculate properly.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Kalli-Ann Binkowski -

Workshop has been nearly great for peer evaluations, except the time we are saving having to work with data from the Feedback tool we are now spending trying to get students to get the initial submission done.  We'd love to be able to skip the initial submission and have a way to export the final report and the raw data (scores and comments) without having to ask our Moodle administrators to configure a report.

We'd like this done so much we are even considering hiring someone to do it, if there were Moodle developers looking for work. 

Can you estimate how hard it would be to make those modifications (remove or make optional the initial submission and create an export option) to the code of the workshop activity?  Perhaps hours of work might be a better way to estimate?

In reply to Kalli-Ann Binkowski

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sorry I do not fully see and understand your usage / expected behaviour. What do you mean by the "Feedback tool" and "initial submission"?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Kalli-Ann Binkowski -

Sorry I was unclear.  In the past, we have used Moodle's Feedback activity to create a survey in which students would evaluate all the members of their group at once.  It took time to get the group members' names into the questions and even more time to untangle the data that was generated by the survey and calculate a teamwork score.  We recently used workshop to do this.  It automatically creates the groups when we limit it to the grouping and set it to randomly allocate to a size bigger than the biggest group.  It also calculates a score off the student evaluations and gets it in the gradebook with one click.  These features of workshop saved a ton of time over using the Feedback activity.  

However, we discovered that getting students to submit something before they could be evaluated by their group members is a bit of a roadblock.  Students that do not submit cannot be evaluated by their group members, so the instructor is missing out on valuable information those evaluations would have provided.

We'd love to have a modified workshop activity that would not have a submission phase, make the submission phase optional, or allow us to autofill all submissions.  Removing that requirement for students to initially submit a title, document or file would mean that all students would just start off evaluating each other.  

Being able to export both the workshop report as it currently exists as well as an additional report that has all the raw data (scores, comments) is also something our instructors would like.

Having hopefully clarified that a little bit, we'd like these alterations to Workshop so much we are even considering hiring someone to do it, if there were Moodle developers looking for work. 

Can you estimate how hard it would be to make those modifications (remove, make optional, or autofill the submission phase and create an export reports option) to the code of the workshop activity?  Perhaps hours of work might be a better way to estimate?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Ruben Cancho -

Hi,

I also would like to have workshop assessment without submission (Q2). Whoever wants it too  please  vote in the tracker for this feature here: MDL-52191