peer-review in Dataform

peer-review in Dataform

by Karl Randau -
Number of replies: 9

I've heard of the possibility of setting up peer-review functions with the Dataform activity but don't understand how. And what does it mean, can students grade each others work and those grades will be saved into the system? Is there a tutorial for how to set up a peer-review function?

I have checked the post here about group peer review but don't understand really how it works. And I suppose that an individual peer-review is easier to set up?

Thanks for any help,

Kalle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karl Randau

Re: peer-review in Dataform

by Itamar Tzadok -

The Dataform grading is highly flexible (just like other Dataform features). To begin with you can set either a single grade item via the activity settings or multiple grade items. In each grade item the grade is composed as a formula which aggregates values from supporting fields, currently select, ratingmdl and entrystate.

Who's grading who is just a matter of who can edit the fields that are included in the grade formula. So you can have students grading students, teachers grading students, students grading teachers and any other combination you can think of. You can, for instance, send students grades to one grade item and teachers grades to another so as to distinguish these grade components in the grade report.

What may be confusing in the example preset available in this forum is that when students enter the activity they seem to have no way to submit their work. The reason is that the preset doesn't include submission entries. At this point, the submission and review entries have to be created by the teacher on behalf of the students. The best way to create these entries is by csv upload via a designated csv view. You create the list of entries (entryType and student/group) in a spreadsheet and import into the activity. Then when students enter the activity their respective entry is there for them as if they created it, and in separate participants mode each student will see only his/her entry. Then they can proceed to edit the entry and upload the submission file or enter the submission data as the case may be.

The review entries are created in a similar way, that is, the allocation is prepared outside the activity in a spreadsheet and then the entries are imported into the activity. This can be done either before the activity opens, or between the submission and review phases.

I'm working on a way to allow the students to create the submission and review entries on their own, but this may take some time to complete.

hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Karl Randau -

Hi again Itamar,

again I've got some more clarity into how the plugin works, and again there are still many things that I don't get smile

I'm happy to find the grade formula, since it puts the flexibility I need into the grading. But what is the value of entry state going to be, since it's not a number, like rating? And what is the general logic behind the entrystate field? 

Since we're creating a MOOC it would not be possible for us to manually manage the entries and student submissions. As I understand Dataform now, it would be possible for students to create their entry (submission) and then be brought to a list of submissions from other students that they can rate and comment. When they have commented and rated a certain amount, and been commented and rated on, they receive a grade and finish the activity. Are there any problems with this idea? 

THanks!

Kalle

In reply to Karl Randau

by Itamar Tzadok -

Currently the idea you describe is not feasible. The reason is that the grading is per entries and for entry owners. So in order to grade reviews, reviewers have to have designated review entries which they own and where they evaluate the work of other students. Does that make sense? smile

by Karl Randau -

Hi Itamar,

sorry for a late reply, I've been busy with other things.

When you say that it's currently not feasible, does it mean that it might be in the future? If the Dataform plugin can't solve my problem I'm left using the forum activity which works, but doesn't offer the full functionality that I'm after. 

Thanks!

Kalle

In reply to Karl Randau

by Itamar Tzadok -

I think I misread your requirement. If you mean that a student's grade should be determined by ratings that other students (raters) enter in the student's entry, then it is possible. In fact, the grade by rating in the Dataform is far more flexible than the forum in that it allows you to use multiple rating fields and to aggregate the result with a formula. See illustration below. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Karl Randau -

Ok, perfect, that seems pretty sophisticated! Thanks for the illustration. 

For the peer review functionality I would need the requirement that students write a certain amount of comments to their peers. 

The idea is 1 submission required that brings you to a review view, where all students submissions are listed. From there it should be required to write comments on 3 other students which then allows the student to finish the activity. At the moment I don't know how to put that requirement. Is there a way?

In reply to Karl Randau

by Itamar Tzadok -

The general approach is covered in the thread Group peer review, isn't it? smile

by Karl Randau -
Hi Itamar,

while looking at the pdf I still don't get how to set that up in moodle. Is there a preset that I then could modify?

Cheers!