Workshop

paula
How many students can grade at one time?
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have an Instructor who wants to use the workshop with rubric for students to grade each other on their class presentations.  They will upload a brief statement of the theme of their presentation to have a submission to move the workshop process into the assessment phase. This means that all students in the course may be online assessing the same student at the same time.  This Instructor has small courses as it is a specialized course (usually less than 15), but I know if it works, other instructors will want to use it as well. I have been through as much documentation as I could find and don't seen anything about not having too many assessing a single student at the same time, but wanted to see if anyone else has tried something like this.

My questions are:

• Were the students able to all assess a single student at roughly the same time?
  • Did you have any other problems trying to do this that I should know about?

Thanks,

Paula Clough cool

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rob Johnson
Re: How many students can grade at one time?

My teachers have used workshop with live classes of about 40 students with no problems.  The students were no all assessing the same submission, but maybe 10 of the 40 were.  This would seem to be close to your small classes of 15.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
paula

Thank you Rob!

Paula cool

Picture of David Mudrák
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
It all depends on the performance of your server, but if you are able to use Moodle in these courses normally, you should not have any problems in Workshop. It's not worse than if all those students log in to Moodle at roughly same time (which they usually do, don't they).

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
paula

Thanks.  I wanted to make sure nothing would sneak up on us.

Paula cool

St Petersburg, Russia

Paula,

I am doing exactly the same thing with a Geosciences prof in a class of 15. They will all (hopefully) assess a 15 minute student presentation while it's happening.

My gut feeling is that the performance of Moodle is not going to be the limiting factor, rather it'll be 15 contemporaneous connections through the wireless network which will strech the bandwidth capabilities.

Let's keep in touch about this -- I'd love to hear how Workshop works for you.

Mark

paula

Yes let's do keep in touch. I have some nursing courses which are going to be using this for presentation.  I would really like to hear how it goes for you and I will post when I get some feedback from the instructors.  I am sure our experiences with help other users as well.

Paula cool

paula

The situation worked out really well for the evaluation except that in the grading phase, there are no assessment grades calculated. I am wondering if the reason for this is that the presentations took place over several days and some of the students were not there for all days and didn't complete the assessment of all the presentations that they were assigned to.  Is that a possiblity? 

We are in the Grading evaluation phase. Is there a way to go back in and unallocate those students without losing the assessments that have been done?

Thanks! cool

paula

One more question from the teacher using the Workshop.  Is there a way for the teacher and/or students to see the individual rubric markings?  We can see the total in the evaluation of assessments section but can't get to the individual assessment form to see what the student marked on the rubric. I've been combing through the docs but haven't found anything on this.

Thanks,

Paula cool

Picture of David Mudrák
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
Yes, there is. If you click the submission title, you should see all allocated assessments displayed below the submission.

paula

Thank you so much for your patience, David. This is our first time using this module so it's a little hard to tell what is normal.  We should have tried a simpler project first, but sometimes we have to take the opportunity when we have someone interested in working with something new.

Here is a picture of the allocated assessments below one of the submissions.  I think there has been a problem as all the assessments here are blank. It looked like this in all the ones I checked. As you can see it did record the scores in relation to the number of points for the submission. The rubric they used was not the one I had orginally built for the activity, so I will look more into that.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Picture of David Mudrák
Ohlala. Something weird is happening here. Please check the workshop settings and make sure the grading strategy is still set to the one that was used for assessing. So if you know that Rubric was used for assessment, make sure the grading strategy is still set to "Rubric", for example. Also check what the planner tool at the top of the page (the one with phases as columns) reports for the task to prepare the assessment form - you should see it v-checked in the Setup phase column.

I have a suspicion that someone changed the grading strategy in the Workshop settings after assessments were done. So grades are present (as I can see in the screenshot), but there are no assessment forms to see as there are no assessments done with the new grading strategy. If I am right, then switching the grading strategy back to Rubric (or whatever was used for assessment) should fix this.

Let us know how it goes.

paula

Thank you, David!  That was it.  I made the accumulative grading look like a rubric because the teacher wanted both rubric and comments with the comments being very important to her. The settings page had the grading method set back to rubric.  Changed it back to accumulative grading and it works! 

It's nice to know that going back into the different parts of the workshop after the evaluations are completed to fix things as I did will not cause problems with the grading, etc..

Paula cool

Picture of David Mudrák
Hi Paula. And thank you for sharing your experience. Let me suggest to look at http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Using_Workshop#Workshop_grading for more information about the grades flow in this activity. Shortly, in the Grading evaluation phase, the teacher has to click the "Re-calculate grades" to aggregate all peer-assessments into final submission grades as well as to calculate assessment grades.

At the moment, to unallocate peer-reviewers, use the Manual allocator tool. There is an X (cross) icon to remove the allocated assessment. Just note that if a student have filled their assessment form, those data will be lost once you unallocate that assessment.

HTH