Spam reporting and removal

Spam reporting and removal

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hopefully many of you are unaware of our behind-the-scenes fight against spam here on moodle.org. Thanks to the help of our wonderful facilitators and moderators, spam is deleted very quickly (usually within a few hours) and spammer accounts are suspended.

To improve our spam defenses, we'll soon be adding a few custom features to moodle.org:

• Each forum post will have a 'Report as spam' link
  • A spam deletion block with button for deleting spam and suspending the spammer's account will be available for administrators and users with the capability to delete spam

For further details of these new features (and if you notice anything amiss) please see the tracker issues MDLSITE-1620 and MDLSITE-1619.

Many thanks to Moodle HQ developers Dan and Rajesh for developing these features. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Spam reporting and removal

by Ian Sheeler -

Hi Helen,

It looks like a great tool. Do you know where things are with the plugin that is available for download (https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_spam_deletion)?

I have installed it on Moodle 2.4 and it is listed in my Plugins > blocks area, but it does not appear in any 'Add block' drop-down menu, and the 'Report as spam' links do not show up.

With many thanks,

Ian

In reply to Ian Sheeler

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ian,
AFAIK the last version can be found here: https://github.com/moodlehq/block-spam_deletion/. Last version is 2013011102.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Ian Sheeler -

Hi Matteo,

Thanks, I've installed that newer version now. Still no joy with getting it to show up though.

Thanks,

Ian

In reply to Ian Sheeler

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ian,

There are a few capabilities associated with the spam deletion block (filtering for 'spam' will find them) though assuming you're an admin, they should all be allowed. Sorry I don't know how to make the report as spam links appear; hopefully Dan can help.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ian Sheeler -

Okay, thanks anyway Helen.

I am an admin, I also tried explicitly setting the capabilities for a Manager role, then logging in as a manager but it still doesn't show up anywhere.

In reply to Ian Sheeler

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi both. I have just installed this block and I have the same issue  -it  is installed but there is no option to add it - I will investigate and get back to you shortly (or longly, depending!)

(ten minutes later...)

I tried exactly the same as Ian - and it still doesn't show.. I have another idea (not least to see if there are any instructions, which I never thought to readwink) and will post a reply later,

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: (HOW TO) Spam reporting and removal

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You add it to the front page -make it sticky - and then it works.  The only  reference I saw to this was in the tracker here so it might be useful to document this somewhere - the plugins database gives only the default instructions for adding blocks, which suggests  you can add it everywhere.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: (HOW TO) Spam reporting and removal

by Dan Poltawski -

Thanks Mary - i've updated the info in the plugin page.

In reply to Ian Sheeler

by Ian Sheeler -

I do apologise – I have it working now. I hadn't read Rajesh's instructions properly at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLSITE-1619 and failed to take in the fact that the block is only initially available on the site's front page. After adding it there then setting it to display everywhere it now shows up, and the 'report as spam' links do too.

In my case I had to change my default front page from 'my' to 'site' first, then change it back again.

Anyway, this is going to be very useful.

Thanks,Ian

In reply to Ian Sheeler

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi Ian,

Sorry the instructions were not very useful - as you might have been able to tell - the plugin was created for Moodle.org and I didn't spend much time producing info to install it!

I've updated the plugin info page and also released a new version (with the latest code).

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Ian Sheeler -

Thanks Dan, and Mary too.  I've updated to the latest version and it is working fine so far.