Moodle community sites

Just wondering . . .
Reporting Spam
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Seriously Mary, is it any use for us to click this link, or are there enough admins to notice and delete them without us worrying?  I don't mind doing a few clicks every now and then.

Latest thought: have a little counter for people who have clicked the Report as Spam link.  When it reaches (say) four, then hide it for moderation.  

-Derek

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Reporting Spam
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think it is worth doing.

If you read https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=7966 you will see that Dan (Poltawski) is having a break from the integration team for the next few weeks. He is the person who oritinally implemented the report spam feature. I wonder how high up his priority list making enhancements is.

Certainly, automating spam deletion has been talked about. The tricky bit is to ensure that it cannot be abused to delete legitimate posts. (Hiding, and preventing mail-out, are more likely ideas, I suppose. Another idea might be to trust particularly-helpful-moodlers, or a more select group, to correctly identify spam.)

The think I would like to see, which might be easier, is Ajaxifying the UI. It is a bit annoying that it takes page-loads to report the spam.

I also wonder if we could auto-detect some of the common patterns of spam that we see.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Derek. Another thing about clicking the report spam link instead of simply deleting the spam is that it then alerts Helen to the user account and that can be deleted to. If we just delete the post without reporting it, then the person lives to spam againsmile

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Tim "The thing I would like to see, which might be easier, is Ajaxifying the UI. It is a bit annoying that it takes page-loads to report the spam."

+1

Dan at desk in Moodle HQ, Perth
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Derek,

We seem to be under attack at the moment, with over 67 spams reported in the last 12 hours or so. Thanks a lot for reporting them, it makes it much quicker for us to notice and delete them. (I get a jabber message every time you report them, so it really does help).

The counter idea you suggest is exactly what we plan to do (see this comment on the tracker). At the moment we're collecting the voting data and weighting it but not taking any automatic action on it.

Just wondering . . .
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

OK, will click more, and if it gets fatiguing, I'll just click once per spammer even if they do multiple posts.

As Mary once asked about spammers "Who are these jerks?"

-Derek