Using permissions to archive a forum

Using permissions to archive a forum

by Stephen Overall -
Number of replies: 3

(This post continues a conversation started in the tracker here:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36797 )

Hi, Charles:

Attached is a screenshot of what my Settings > Forum Admin > Permissions page looks like. I am logged in as an Editing Teacher (default role settings) in a forum and course I created.

Looks like your Moodle admin may have adjusted the default settings for the Editing Teacher role, assuming you have that role in this course (you're not in a Non-Editing Teacher role are you?). Ask your Moodle admin about giving the Editing Teacher role in this course these forum capabilities to archive a forum. It should be a safe thing to do (it's one of the role permission defaults after all). Letting the teachers do the work of changing student forum permissions means the admin doesn't have to do it. Good luck!

Attachment forum-permissions-page1.gif
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stephen Overall

Re: Using permissions to archive a forum

by Charles Kelly -
Where do I need to tell the admin to go in order to set this permission?

He didn't understand the message. I also tried the following searches, but couldn't find anything that seemed connected.

I searched "capabilities" in "system administration" and only found these 2 items.

defaultuserroleid
gradepublishing

I searched "archive" in "system administration" and only found this item.

imscp | keepold
In reply to Charles Kelly

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Charles,

My guess from looking at your screenshot you posted a link to in the tracker issue is that your teacher role lacks the moodle/role:safeoverride capability.

Here are some instructions for your admin:

• Go to Settings > Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles
  • Edit the teacher role and change the capability moodle/role:safeoverride to allow
  • Click the button "Save changes"
  • Click the tab "Allow role overrides" (in Settings > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles)
  • Check the appropriate box(s) in the teacher row to set which role(s) they can override. Most likely it will just be the student role, so check the box where the teacher row intersects with the student column
  • Click the button "Save changes"

(Steps adapted from the section 'Enabling non-editing teachers to override safe permissions' in Override permissions.)

You can check out how it is for your admin by trying things out on our demo site demo.moodle.net. I obtained a permissions page just like your screenshot by logging into the demo site as an admin, editing the teacher role and removing the moodle/role:safeoverride capability (which is actually allowed by default), then logging in as a teacher and going to a forum permissions page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If anyone finds this thread from a search in the future, just posting to say I have added to the (rather sparse) FAQ number 11 here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Forum_FAQ on how to archive a forum, using Stephen's screenshot (thanks Stephen) and Helen's admin advice (thanks Helen)