News Forum

News Forum

by Maria Murjani -
Number of replies: 3

We created separate groups in one of our courses because it introduced a weekly "think tank" discussions among students.  But we noticed recently that when we as"Admin" posts anything in the New Forum, it's not showing in the students News Forum page, even if, the News Forum is set as "forced subscription'. We tested and login as one of our sudents and it doesnt show. Can anyone share any solution to this? We are worried that students are missing important info or announcements about the course.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Murjani

Re: News Forum

by Fadi Mansour -

When posting as Admin, you should make sure that you are posting to the proper group. If you are using the "Separate groups" mode, users in a group will not be able to see any posts that were not posted in their group.

You can see which group your viewing the discussions from from the droplist at the top of the discussions list. Or, in the post editing page, there's a drop list at the end of the page.

In reply to Fadi Mansour

by Maria Murjani -

Thanks for the response Fadi. We actually chose "All Participants" from the drop down menu but not all students actually got the announcements. Is there something I am missing? Please advise.

In reply to Maria Murjani

by Fadi Mansour -

As I mentioned in my previous email, if you this forum is set to the group mode "Separate groups", then students don't have access to posts not tied to a group they belong to.

So, although as an administrator, you can submit posts that are not tied to a group (when selecting the "All participants" element in the droplist), students in groups actually do not have access to these posts.

Maybe there should be a change in the naming of this element, as in this case it does not convey the true functionality. Maybe a developer would comment on this.

All you can do in this case is send a different post for every group, manually. There's an issue concerning this in the issue tracker: MDL-19670.