Paypal accepted currencies limited

Paypal accepted currencies limited

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 4
Hi moodlers,

I know this is not a limitation of the moodle paypal plugin, but rather Paypal itself - namely, the currencies in which transactions can take place is limited to US Dollars, Australian Dollars, Canadian Dollars, Euros, Pound Sterling and Yen.

My university in Korea is becoming more interested in moodle as a platform to develop and market courses - but Paypal doesn't allow transactions in Korean won. sad

Have people used any alternatives to solve such a problem? Any workarounds, tips or general advice?

Thanks in advance, smile
Tim.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Paypal accepted currencies limited

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Paypal supports Korea (just not the native currency).  Your users have to use one of the other currencies to pay, and you have to convert back when you withdraw to a bank account.  I had to do the same until recently, before Paypal supported Australian dollars, and it was still cheaper than any other option.

Otherwise, you might be able to find an alternative online payments provider in Korea.  If you do, all you need to do is develop an enrolment plugin for it (they're quite small) ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Allen -
Thanks for that information Martin. approve

Just one more question. When I use my Australian credit card to purchase something in Korean won or US Dollars, I incur extra foreign exchange fees to convert the transacted currency back to Australian Dollars.

Would this happen similarly to a customer purchasing some service via Paypal?

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by JoJo Kinkaid -
There is a forum I found on the internet that is free, and helps with Ebay, PayPal, business and the law. Just post any question, the experts will answer it if it has not already been answered!

The forum has a lot of expert advice on it. http://www.modeeworld.com/forums I found advice there about how to avoid EBAY suspensions, get past PayPal limitations, also lots of detailed help on creating your own business, getting past trademark violations, VERO and lots more. Plus general advice on how best to sell on EBAY, what sells the best, how to get the best price for your product, really everything related to EBAY and internet business.

Also advice about how EBAY really works and how PayPal really works. The inside scoop.

Beautiful forum. I was made a moderator of the forum and I love it!