External DB - Users can't log in

External DB - Users can't log in

by Rafael Pinheiro -
Number of replies: 7
Hello,

This is my first post on moodle forum, since I always found the solution for my previous problems here. But now we are having issues that we have no idea how to solve...

We are using moodle Moodle 1.9.4+ on the university that i work, and now we decided to use an external DB to create courses, users and enrol them. But when users log in the profile page shows up and they are prompted to fill their information... but when they submit their data the profile page shows up again prompting form more information on the description field, it don't really matter how much he wrote about him.

So the users are stuck on the profile page...

Would be very glad if anyone could help, the classes are starting and we need the moodle for several courses
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rafael Pinheiro

Re: External DB - Users can't log in

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you mapped the description profile field to some field on the external db? If so, did you mapped the field as locked? It may happen that the description field on the external db is empty, and when the user fills it and submits the page, Moodle overwrites it with the (empty) value from the external db, and we are stuck there.

If this is what's going on, just don't lock the mapped field and users should be able to fill it and continue.

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

Re: External DB - Users can't log in[SOLUTION]

by Rafael Pinheiro -
Thanks Iñaki, that's exactly what happened... i had a required field locked and thought i mapped it in db, but i didnt... silly me corado

So if anyone get on this topic with the same problem just make sure that all the required fields are being filled or are unlocked

In reply to Rafael Pinheiro

by Paul O'Donnell -
This is my first post also. Our university is investigating whether moodle will work as an alternative to our current lms and we're conducting a test run.

A major obstacle is the auto-creation of courses, users, and enrolment. While the enrolment plugin featured in 1.9.4 gives us hope, we are looking for a similar plugin to auto-create courses.

How are you handling the creation of courses?
In reply to Paul O'Donnell

by David Cameron -

Yes. We are looking to supplement face to face education for new customers and provide refresher courses for existing customers across a range of courses related to our business management software. We need the ability to register users (or groups of users) for an individual course (eg Accounts Payable) or group of courses (eg Administration) with the ability to have an access start and finish date based on the payment.

Any pointers would be appreciated 

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just to point of the obvious, but there are Moodle Partner companies out there who have a lot of experience integrating Moodle with different systems, and who could probably offer you consulting about the best way to hook things up on your situation.

Because you can get at the source, you have a lot of scope for making things work exactly how you want, if you have the PHP development resource.

by Theresa Ru -
Don't know if this is what you're interested in, but here is the latest discussion for the uploadcourse.php script: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=91850. We use it at our community college, but we edited the shortname field length to something more than 15 so that it allows us to enter course shortnames that describe the courses better (since it shows up in the breadcrumbs), and uploaded the teacher users (editingteacher) beforehand. We're able to create 200+ courses in a flat file upload in a couple of minutes. Then we enroll the students. Thanks to the original author of the code, to the students who subsequently revised it, and others along the way.

Best regards,
Theresa

by Jonathan Moore -
Hi Paul,

Moodle can definitely do this. There are actually many ways this can be done. The best way tends to come down to what external system the data originates in. In the case of the external database module there is a setting flag to enable auto-course creation. A basic course template can also be set to be used with any courses created this way. Other integrations provide additional functionality such as pulling in additional setting fields for course, more advanced templates, course rollovers etc. Many SIS systems have been integrated with Moodle including: Banner, Datatel, Powerschool, Peoplesoft, Meastro, and many others.