Please tell me if this is possible!

Please tell me if this is possible!

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 3

I use version 2.3.2

I have a gradebook User report that my students can see.

I made a new category for that report called "First Quarter". I moved all the assignments they completed in the first quarter into this new category and I turned off access to the lessons we studied in the first quarter because we are now in the second quarter. However, I made the first quarter category visible to students in their User Report.

But, although the aggregated results of the first quarter are visible, the individual assignments (and the grades they made on them) are NOT visible, UNLESS I turn access back on.

The problem is that I do NOT want students to be able to go back and do the first quarter lessons, so I simply turned off access to them.

I seem to be in a catch22 situation. If I turn off access to previous lessons and assignments, they won't show up in the gradebook. But I DO want students to be able to at least VIEW what grades they received in each assignment in the first quarter (not just aggregated grades)

Has anyone seen this? Is it possible to make this work?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: Please tell me if this is possible!

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, Doug.  Please see MDL-34931 for the current status on this issue.  It says it is supposed to be fixed as of 2.2.6;  I have not lately tested to see if it works now in my course, which should be on the latest 2.2.

Here's the workaround I figured out for my own courses on 2.2:

After you hide the whole topic, go back in and "unhide" individual items on the course page.  Students should not be able to see the items on the course page because the topic itself is hidden, but the items should show up in the user report.

This is potentially a very time-consuming workaround, but it helped me get by until the fix came out and we could test it.  Best,

Lesli

In reply to Lesli Smith

by Doug Moody -

Lesli,

I will check out your strategy. I thought I did this already, but I will check again.

I checked the MDL34931 link you provided, and it says the issue is fixed. But it is not for me. So either I don't have the latest build, or it really isn't fixed. I will check my build number and report back. If I have the latest and it is still happening, then I suppose I should open a new issue number, because as stated, developers don't check them anymore once they are marked as fixed.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Doug Moody -

Followup: I did as Lesli recommended and it does work. But there is one caveat...In order to hide, you must go into edit mode, and then click on each assignment to hide it.

However, the closed eyeball cannot be clicked directly. You must go into the assignment itself and choose Show under the visible dropdown.

Its kind of strange why it must be done this way, instead of unhiding by clicking on the closed eyeball.