General help

Picture of Alan Skornia
Windows server: Trying to migrate from Apache to IIS

We are currently running a WIndows 2008 R2 server with Moodle 2.3. We have been having a lot of problems were the Apache Service stops. After searching and reading many different posts about things to try. It sounds like my best options are to either move everything to a Linux Server or switch from Apache to IIS and MySQL to MSSQL. If I switch to IIS and MSSQL, is there some kind of documention on how I can bring all of the information over from the current setup?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Nils Finnsson
Re: Windows server: Trying to migrate from Apache to IIS

If you don't mind me asking, what were your findings when researching the source of apache stopping?

Picture of Alan Skornia

Most of the posts that I found were related to a problem with the amount of users Apache can handle when running on a Windows Server. They state that things are a lot more stable running Moodle on Linux or switching to IIS on a Windows Server.

Picture of Steve Kleine

I concur. The XAMPP install was a total disaster once we started stressing it with more than ten users.

Our Migration was done pretty much as an emergency DR.

Our overall was Install from Microsoft's Web Platform Installer, restore data files to the same location, backup original MySQL instance, restore to new server, adjust PHP.INI to match the new credentials for MySQL, and we were off and running.

Essentially, treat it like a migration of data to a new server - all the same docs work for moving off WAMP/XAMPP install to IIS7 to get rid of Apache.

Me in Phnom Penh, November 2008

Hi Steve

You make it sound simple I must say!  Any problems since the transfer?  

I have had a site on a debian server for 3 years and am now transferring to IIS for various reasons.  Also going to ms sql rather than mysql.  I'm experiencing problems with backup/restore, some third party quizzes and probably things I haven't discovered yet.

You reckon to backup and restore the entire database plus moodledata directory might be a better way to go?

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

Picture of Steve Kleine

Since we moved from XAMPP to IIS7 we've had one downtime, and that was for mistaken data deletion. Moodle itself has been absolutely rock-solid.

The backup of MySQL & the moodle data was exactly what we did, keeping the MySQL instead of moving to MSSQL - we were already in a disaster situation with crashes and figured moving to IIS and MSSQL at once was probably a bad idea as it could have introduced other issues that we'd never be sure of the cause.

It was surprisingly simple to do. We took our usual backups, performed a second backup with a different app, and moved everything over and tested within an eight-hour window. The main difference the users noticed when we completed the migration was the site no longer crashed.

Be sure to bring any additional (read: non-default) blocks over as well. We neglected this part and it caused a bit of indigestion among the staff post-recovery.

I'd also recommend spinning up a new server (virtual or otherwise) for the move. That way, you always can go back to the original if the whole thing goes pear-shaped.

I have to give a hand to the IRC channels #mysql and #moodle on Freenode as well - they helped more than they realize for this n00b.

Deep breaths, go slow and be sure to stop for lunch if need be. smile

Picture of sadoon zuhary

hi, my problem h cant p=open php file which download from moddle since i nstal xampp program,thanks

Picture of Steve Kleine

I recommend Notepad++ for the all-in-one solution for web servers. It can be found here, and it's free.

Picture of sadoon zuhary

Thank you ver much fop your advices 

Picture of sadoon zuhary

hi,what programme should i download so as to open php file,Moreover my computer has window seven system