Letting students assess the assessments of submissions

Letting students assess the assessments of submissions

by Martin Van der Linden -
Number of replies: 3

In some pedagogical settings, it would be great if we were able to let students assess others' assessments of submissions, of their own work, or of the work of others.

This would just means adding a additional – optional – stage to the assessment process :

• Students send their submission
  • Some students assess the submissions
  • Some students assess the assessments of the submission (either theirs, or the assessments of the submissions of others' depending on the learning situation)

It cannot go on forever of course (assessement of the assessement of the assesement of a submission, etc), but I think this additional step can be valuable in some learning situation as it encourages more constructive feedbacks (in particular better written comments).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Van der Linden

Re: Letting students assess the assessments of submissions

David Mudrak  react to this post on another topic:

"Hm, that sounds like an interesting idea. I can imagine some sort of text field for the written feedback for the reviewer/assessor (at the moment, only Teachers can do it). Or did you mean some more formal assessment? (via an assessment form?). Could we just use the standard Comments feature for it?

Let us see how this might evolve - let me suggest to announce this issue in the Workshop forum at moodle.org so that other Workshop users contribute with their ideas. "

What I was thinking about was a formal assessment, but both can be useful depending on the learning setting.

The situation we are trying to cope with:

• A massive undergraduate course with 600+ students
  • We would like them to write a short essay on a topic but have no teaching resources to review the essays
  • We think the exercice of peer-review can be both a valuable experience and a way to deal with shortage in supervision resources.

The issue is to encourage students to give constructive feedbacks, including well-thought written comments. Of course, we have no time to read all the essays, hence no time to read all the comments. 

This is why I thought of adding a review layer as a way to have students sending better reviews.

Thanks for you reaction, hope this helps to clarify the idea,

by Pilar Garcia Souto -

Hi Martin,

I see you added this post long ago, and so you might not be interested anymore.... but I am actually using a peer assessment method where students assess the feedback received. See my post  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=269304

I have proposed a modification on Moodle Tracker to Workshop Activity to allow for this extra feature (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46726). Have a look and vote if you think it would be useful to implement it.

Cheers!