Using Advanced Grading for 'Access to HE' courses.

Using Advanced Grading for 'Access to HE' courses.

by Steve Crozier -
Number of replies: 4

Has anyone out there in Moodleland had any experience of using the Gradebook to grade and record assignments used in the 'Access to Higher Education' courses found in the UK.

For those who are not familiar with the courses, they use a sort of Rubric system to grade the assignments with a series of Grade Descriptors completed at Pass, Merit and Distinction levels, which is straightforward enough, but the overall score for an assignment is found by taking the list of the Passes, Merits etc and putting them together in a list. This means that an assignment with, for instance, 8 Grade Descriptors might be graded 'PPPMMDDD'.

The final grade given to the assignment is the middle one in that list, in this example that would be 'M' (Wacky I know, but I didn't invent it!!!)

Does anyone have any experience of this method or any idea whether a Moodle Rubric can be used to record at least the list of Passes, Merits etc? I can't see anyway that the calculation of points can be used to give the result.

Any ideas?

Steve Crozier

Boston College

Lincs, UK

In reply to Steve Crozier

Re: Using Advanced Grading for 'Access to HE' courses.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Short answer is no. There are many courses in the UK that use that type of grading, particularly the National Diploma/BTEC, but the rubric system cannot quite do that. I imagine it would not be a huge amount of programming to create that functionality.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Steve Crozier -

Thanks,

I am using the direct grading for BTEC to collate grades and that works fine as far as it goes but Access would be very useful.

Steve

In reply to Steve Crozier

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

sounds like an interesting use of rubrics!

It would be relatively straight forward to develop an advanced grading method plugin that did that - drop me an email if you've got funding and need someone to do the development! smile I just recently developed the "Marking Guide" advanced grading method that landed in 2.3