Seeing student journal entries

Seeing student journal entries

by Matt Molloy -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

I'm probably overlooking some simple setting, but...

I plan to use student journal entries as a means of encouraging students to reflect on the day's activities. However, on my live site, and on a test site, I have made entries into journals, but when I go in as administrator, I cannot see them. The only entries that show up are the ones I have made. According to the page, none of the students has made journal entries, even though I have done so on the test site by logging in as different students and making entries.

Anyone any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Molloy

Re: Seeing student journal entries

by Miles Berry -
If you select the journal as a teacher (or administrator), there should be a link at the top right of the screen, under the breadcrumb list for "View 24 journal entries", or whatever the number is.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Matt Molloy -

Hi Miles,

Yes, I had that link, but no entries showed up, even though I had made them myself on the test site. Eventually, a couple of hours later, they came through. I would have expected them to appear once the "editing time" had expired. It seems to take some time for entries to eventually appear. I have set my editing time to 1 minute, but still, it is taking some time for entries to appear in the administrator's view. I don't mind, once this is normal, but I need to be sure I will eventually be able to see all journal entries.

Thanks,

Matt

In reply to Matt Molloy

by Ron Schmidt -

Matt,

I have the same trouble with viewing student entries.  They haven't appeared even after a couple of hours.  It says that there is no entry, but when I click on the 'picture' (smiling face) next to the section where it says no entry for the student, I am able to see it by going through a round about way of viewing the student's activities. 

How did you change the editing time? Is that the same as changing the length of days that the journal is posted. It seems the shortest time is one day. How did you change it to one minute?

Please let me know the quickest way to solve this problem.  Thank you for taking the time to help.

Ron

In reply to Ron Schmidt

by Matt Molloy -

Hi Ron,

See my other posting to this forum:

"I continued with my testing, and the journal entries I made never made it into my (adminstrator/teacher) view. Then, I had call to restart my machine for a different reason, and when I logged back into the test course, all the missing journal entries were visible to me. "

After that restart, I've never had a problem since. To change the editing time, for me (still using 1.4.4), it is Administration...configuration....variables, then put your chosen value in for maxeditingtime.

Regards,

Matt

In reply to Miles Berry

by Matt Molloy -

I continued with my testing, and the journal entries I made never made it into my (adminstrator/teacher) view. Then, I had call to restart my machine for a different reason, and when I logged back into the test course, all the missing journal entries were visible to me.

Matt