Layout Problem in Moodle 2.3 Gradebook (Grade Item Indenting)

Layout Problem in Moodle 2.3 Gradebook (Grade Item Indenting)

by David Leeding -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle 2.3.1+ (Build: 20120712)

We have observed a formatting problem with the Gradebook Categories and Items screen. Some grade items are not indented correctly beneath their parent category in a number of courses.

Grade Item alignment problem

This greatly affects usability. The parent category and sibling grade items get pushed to the right, and everything else is pushed out-of-sight. Teachers complain that they have to scroll down, across then up just to see all the elements on the one row.

The problem occurs in Chrome, FireFox and IE.

At our college, the problem only seems to occur in courses for one particular year level. This year level has categories nested four deep, whereas all other year levels only have categories nested three deep. That may not be the cause of the problem, but it’s the only real difference we’ve been able to identify so far.

I replicated this problem once in a completely clean install of Moodle 2.3.1 with the standard theme, so we don't think it's data-related or caused by our current theme. I replicated the problem using these steps:

1. Created a new course
  2. Created a series of categories nesting up to four deep.
  3. Added a grade item to one category nested four deep.
  4. Added a grade item to a different category four deep. <- problem evident after this step

Clean install, standard theme

Much to my frustration, I have not been able to replicate the problem again in this clean install!

Possibly related to this: On all courses where this problem occurs, the gradebook view doesn’t display correctly. The header section appears to overhang the right-hand end of the grading area. The number of overhanging columns varies from course to course.

Gradebook View

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before? Any suggestions on what might be causing this...or how we might fix it?

In reply to David Leeding

Re: Layout Problem in Moodle 2.3 Gradebook (Grade Item Indenting)

by Edwinna Lucyk -

We are planning to migrate to 2.3 in August and the grade item misalignment in the gradebook is a serious problem for us.  I noticed the  problem in versions 2.0.1, 2.2.4, 2.3 and when using IE, Firefox and Chrome.  

I noticed the following at our school:

• Problem 1: Noticed in the Categories and Items view.  
    • At our site, it was the last item in categories with a grade type of NONE that were shifted left.  
    • When I deleted the last item, what was the next to the last item became the item that was shifted left.
    • When I changed the grade type for the category to TEXT the problem resolved itself.  
    • When I changed the grade type of another category to NONE, the last item in that category shifted left.
    • So I thought changing the category grade type from NONE to TEXT was a short term work around for us.  Neither grade type had an impact on the grade calculations which was what we wanted for items in that specific category, namely the Excluded Items category.
  • Problem 2: Noticed in user report and when I looked at the grade activity report as a mentor/parent for gradebooks with several levels of category nesting, there were serious misalignment problems, rendering the report essentially unreadable.

I have spent many hours trying to resolve this.  I plan to report it in the tracker.

Edwinna

In reply to Edwinna Lucyk

Re: Layout Problem in Moodle 2.3 Gradebook (Grade Item Indenting)

by David Leeding -

Hi Edwinna

Your observations are competely consistent with ours!! Phew...it's not just us! Good to see it's in the tracker.

David