by Tyrone Williamson -
Number of replies: 26

Is there a way to disable REVIEW MODE?

I've tried the following set the score of quiz (SCORM) to 100%
The user must get 100% but the package still goes into review mode

Can this be disabled completely?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tyrone Williamson

Re: Is there a way to disable REVIEW MODE?

by Tim Parham -
In reply to Tim Parham

by Tyrone Williamson -

Tim, i already tried that and am on Moodle 2.3 already sad

In reply to Tyrone Williamson

by Rob Skeet -

This still seems to keep coming up.

I am on Moodle 2.9 and there is still no way to disable this.

I have 40 articulate Storyline courses in Moodle

they all are set to "passed/fail" reporting.

If the user fails the test, they must review the content and try again.

as long as they don't leave the SCORM course this is fine and it records the completion if they pass.

if they leave the SCORM course and go back to the menu and return to try and pass this course, they are stuck in review mode and can't save their progress to pass.

I have tried changing the grading "Grade to pass" to 100 but that apparently was a 1.9 fix.  I have tried force new attempt but that erases everything and the user has to start over.

IS THERE STILL NO WAY TO DISABLE REVIEW MODE!!!!! after how many versions???

In reply to Rob Skeet

by Sam Stevens -

In summary you will get review mode because you have set some kind of completion requirement in moodle that they have not met in their last attempt at the activity.

What are the exact attempts management settings for the activities that are giving the problem?

Are you by any chance trying to restrict the number of attempts with moodle? From some recent things I have been doing I have found this out:

The reason it can become complicated is because a moodle attempt (set in activity settings) is not the same a a scorm attempt (set when authoring). 

So you might set the scorm attempts to 3, ah ha you think this must mean I have to set the moodle attempts to 3 as well so the reporting/control matches up, but they are not the same thing.

In setting the scorm attempts to 3 then that means they get three attempts each time the activity is opened.

Moodle counts an attempt as opening the activity.

As the scorm module will not track the number of scorm attempts across openings then that means a user could get up to 9 attempts at the module. So they open it once, try it 3 times, open it again, try it three times and then open it a last time and try it three times. 

Once they reach the end of their 3 moodle attempts then they will enter review mode.

If you set scorm attempts to 3 and moodle attempts to 1 then they will be able to open the module once and then attempt it 3 times. If they exit after one scorm attempt and then try and resume they won't be able to as that will count as a second moodle attempt. Which isn't allowed and they will be in review mode.

Alternatively 3 moodle attempts and 1 scorm attempt would allow them to open it three times. If in any of those times they did not get all the way through the module and exitied and resumed this would count on their moodle attempts and once they get to the 4th one then that is in review mode again.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Take a look at the settings 'force new attempt' and 'lock after final attempt' and the contextual help in moodle for those options. You can use these to disable review mode.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Stevens -
Well that will mean they either don't resume or they can't get in at all instead of getting review mode.
In reply to Sam Stevens

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
That is not correct.

Please read https://docs.moodle.org/en/SCORM_FAQ#Handling_of_Multiple_Attempts

According to the SCORM spec - a SCORM attempt is considered "finished" when the lesson_status is set to completed/passed/failed. If a SCORM attempt is not finished then the lesson_status is set with a different status by the SCORM package (and the attempt can be resumed)

If an attempt has been set to completed/passed/failed then a subsequent re-entry to the SCORM will cause review mode (as per the spec) - Users can choose not to enter review mode by ticking the "start new attempt" checkbox. But Moodle allows you to "hide" the checkbox by setting the value "force new attempt" - all this does is automatically start a new attempt if the previous attempt was complete/passed or failed.(preventing review mode from occuring.) The exception to this is if you restrict the number of attempts in Moodle to something like "3" - on the 3rd completed SCORM attempt Moodle cannot create a new attempt so review mode will be triggered on subsequent entries unless you choose to enable the setting "lock after final attempt" - which will prevent review mode from occurring on the final attempt.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Stevens -
Well not quite. If you attempt a quiz in a scorm that can easily give a status of failed if you don't pass the quiz but the module may not be "finished". You might have multiple attempts to take the quiz.

Consider this example. Moodle attempts set to one.  Quiz (scorm) attempts set to unlimited in captivate. How many times can they attempt to pass the module in moodle?

The answer is anywhere from 1 to infinite depending on if they close and reopen the module. Open it first time. Fail the quiz (lesson_status set to failed) unless they have to close the module and then try to re-open it to attempt again according to moodle they are still on attempt one so they can try the quiz as many times as they like. Once it is failed and they exit then access is restricted on the next access after the attempts check.

Alternatively you could set the quiz attempts to one in authoring and then the moodle attempts to the number you want. However then that means that you have to get the user to exit the module and re enter it for each attempt. Which will be a pain as well.

The whole thing stems from the fact that the attempts status is only checked on activity entry. Once you are up and running with a scorm attempt as far as I can see it does nothing (and can do nothing if I understand how it works correctly) to stop you working through the scorm activity regardless of what is happening with the attempts counts etc...

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Dan Marsden -

There seems to be some confusion over terminology. If you can set a number of times an attempt can be "re-entered" within your Authoring tool those are not really "attempts" but re-entries of the same single attempt.

The scorm spec states that a status of "completed/passed/failed" should allow the learner to generate a new attempt or re-enter in review mode. Moodle just follows that spec.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Stevens -

Nope re your own post earlier "According to the SCORM spec - a SCORM attempt is considered "finished" when the lesson_status is set to completed/passed/failed. If a SCORM attempt is not finished then the lesson_status is set with a different status by the SCORM package (and the attempt can be resumed)"

Attempt is nothing to do with entry and exit. That is a moodle addition due to the way it has to check attempts. Any time lesson_status is changed that is an attempt. So if you have a quiz in a module and fail it then the lesson_status is set to "failed" and an attempt is counted. Moodle will get that attempt count but it will do nothing with it till you try to re-enter the module 

The problem comes because moodle only checks that on activity entry. So in theory once you are in if there is nothing in the content stopping you you can keep going and going. Moodle will only stop you on entry.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Dan Marsden -

I can't see anywhere in the spec that would suggest that you could change the lesson_status from "completed/passed/failed" to something else and generate a new attempt during a single "entry". There is some level of obscurity between SCO and multi-SCO packages but my interpretation of the spec is that an attempt is "finished" when both the lesson_status is set and LMSFinish() is called or the user closes the SCORM package. If your SCORM package deviates from this and has other handling this could probably be considered a feature of the authoring tool that sits outside the spec?

This interpretation is also based on the behaviour of the official ADL test packages used during certification/compliance testing of the SCORM 1.2 specification.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Stevens -

As you said "a SCORM attempt is considered "finished" when the lesson_status is set to completed/passed/failed."

The change of lesson_status isn't dependent on LMSFinish(). Any time you attempt a quiz or whatever your assessment is and a change in lesson_status is made then that is an attempt. So in captivate just a looping quiz that you keep going through would generate attempt after attempt.

Nothing to do with multi-SCO or having to call LMSFInish() (which only really makes sure that everything is flushed and closes communication)

You point boils down to not being able to attempt something more than once without closing and opening it again as that is how an attempt is counted. When it can be proven that it isn't and that isn't set out in the specs anywhere. Make a module that is just a looping quiz. Fail it however many times then pass it. It will count each of these as attempts. As it should but it will only check for any attempt logic on opening the scorm module in moodle.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Dan Marsden -

The SCORM package may present these as "attempts" within the package itself - but these are not attempts using the interpretation we have made with the SCORM spec combined with certification using the ADL SCORM test packages. If this differs from the Rustici SCORM engine I'm happy to revisit this but the language used to explain the behaviour is very important. The "attempts" you refer to that occur without the user exiting or closing the package are counted as a single attempt within Moodle. You should not confuse others in the community by referring to them as attempts as they are all part of interacting within the SCORM package under a single "attempt" in Moodle. I think I have said as much as I want to on this unless you can point to a difference in the way we handle attempts and the way the Rustici SCORM cloud does it.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Stevens -

Don't really want to drag it out but the point remains that an attempt is not based on module entry.

Please see some of the details here. http://scorm.com/scorm-explained/technical-scorm/golf-examples/

In particular Randomized Testing (Test/Question Banking)

• The learner gets two attempts to pass the post test.
  • After the first failed test attempt, the learner immediately retries the test.
  • Once the post test has been passed or attempted twice, the learner immediately exits.

No mention of exiting the module to attempt it again and to me seems to say that exit is after the two attempts. The example there is 2004 but I'm not aware that the control of attempts is that different between 1.2 and 2004. 

Backed up by this being the way that captivate works as well. The different one is moodle.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Dan Marsden -

SCORM 2004 is very different (and we don't provide full support for it) I am happy to look at feature/interpretation differences between Moodle and the Rustici SCORM cloud as it is considered the "Gold standard" SCORM player. I am not aware of a difference in the way we manage attempts and the way the Rustici SCORM cloud manages attempts for SCORM 1.2 packages (but it's always possible there is a difference somewhere)

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Stevens -

Yeah I wanted a 1.2 example but I don't think the attempts handling is different from 1.2 to 2004.

I'll register for a free account and see what happens with a multi attempt 1.2 course authored in captivate and report back.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Dan Marsden -

It sounds like you have misunderstood how attempts work. Moodle does not count attempts at each entry. Please see the scorm faq in moodle docs for correct  info on how scorm attempts work.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Stevens -
Not quite. It depends on what the cmi.core.lesson_status is set to on exit, what authoring tool you use and how you use it. Should have said my experience is on Captivate 8.

Depending on the status then moodle will increment its counter. Which isn't the same as the number of attempts you might set in your authoring tool (as they won't persist across sessions). Which is where the confusion comes in and then how you can end up in review mode.

In reply to Sam Stevens

by Rob Skeet -

Thanks for your input folks.

Unfortunately nothing seems to work. I have 40 Articulate Storyline courses (Individual packages) all set to SCORM 1.2. We have set it up for them to view a number of lessons then when all the lessons are flagged as complete they can take the test. This has a series of interactions and a results page. if they get 80% or more it markes it as passed and we're done. no problem.

If it is below 80% Moodle marks it as failed (Even though, I have tried Passed/failed, Passed/Incomplete, and Complete/Incomplete)

if I don't exit out, the test is reset and I can view all the lessons again and retake the test and if I pass it, it is recorded as complete. again no problem.  

For some reason, however, if the user fails and exits the course, it is marked as failed and if they re-launch the course, they are in review mode and can't retake the test. nothing is recorded.

We have done this numerous times in the past with no issue.  It seems that either Articulate's latest update or Moodle 2.9 has changed the game rules.  I am running out of ways to try and fix this.  Anyone noticed this issue?  (Using Storyline - Captivate users input is appreciated but not really helping here)

In reply to Rob Skeet

by Austen Sinclair -

Hi Rob

I feel your pain here.  We found that setting 'Disable preview mode' to Yes made the difference for us for the review mode.  But, we're still on 2.7.

Cheers

Austen

In reply to Rob Skeet

by Dan Marsden -

It sounds like the mastery score set by Articulate might be your particular problem:
https://docs.moodle.org/en/SCORM_FAQ#Moodle_changes_cmi.core.lesson_status_from_.22completed.22_or_.22passed.22_to_.22failed.22

at the moment the only way around it is to modify the imsmanifest.xml file within your package to remove it.

It may be useful to note that the way Moodle handles the mastery score is slightly different to how the Rustici SCORM cloud does things - we do it the way the Rustici cloud originally did but they modified the default behaviour (and ran into a bunch of issues when they did) a while back. We have the tracker issue MDL-50620 open to add a new setting that people could enable to make it operate the same was as Rustici currently does but I haven't had time (or funding) to be able to look at it further.

In reply to Rob Skeet

by Rob Skeet -

OK - an update.

Exported the Storyline file as SCORM 2004 (4th ed.) without changing any other settings and it worked just fine.

it would appear that the latest Articulate Storyline update changed something in the SCORM 1.2 packaging.

Problem somewhat solved. but now have to republish 40 courses this way.

GRRR

Rob

In reply to Rob Skeet

by David Le Blanc -

Wow! Thanks for this post Rob. I have literally being going crazy to come up with a solution to this problem. I was reluctant to export to publish to 2004, as it is not (officially) supported by Moodle. It might not be supported but it seems to work. smile smile smile

In reply to Rob Skeet

Απάντηση: Re: Is there a way to disable REVIEW MODE?

by Nina Tsartsali -

Hello all! 

I am on version 2.9.3 and I have the same problem. I have a SCORM 1.2 package that I have created manually, writing the manifest file. It has 7 items (that have sub-items) and one Quiz in the end. The user first tries the course, visits for examples the first two sections and exits, grade 0%. Then tries again the course, does the quiz, grade 30%, without visiting all the sections, exits and nothing is recorded (the grade is still )%) because it was in preview mode. So in order to start a new attempt he has to enter again, visit all the sections, exit and then he is shown the option "Start a new attempt".

In the Course Settings in the Course Completion I have also chosen "Condition Course Grade" and in the SCORM settings in the Activity Completion I have chosen "Show activity as complete when conditions are met".

Nothing works though. The same course though works in Blackboard, where I have edited the SCORM player behavior and applied "Complete when threshold score is met".

Any ideas?

Thank you!

In reply to Nina Tsartsali

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Is there a way to disable REVIEW MODE?

by Dean DiMonte -

Did you try publishing in SCORM 2004?