SCORM quiz Review mode

SCORM quiz Review mode

by Salim Šabić -
Number of replies: 14

Hi to all, I installed a few days ago Moodle 1.9.12, but now there are weird things going on, I have lot of courses and all of them are filled with SCORM, the lessons are no problem, but when a user goes to a Quiz, the first attempt is ok, the Quiz shows up just as it should, but if a student fails the exam, (eg. the pass score is 60% and a student scores 50% or 40% or 3%), and closes the Quiz.

If the student wants to retake, or reatempt the Quiz, it appears in Review Mode, no matter what I do, this keeps going on. I tried the Grade editing in the course grades options, changed the SCORM option to disable the Preview mode as default, but nothing changes. 

Can anyone help me please, it is really urgent, I would love if someone had a Idea how to code edit this, I mean, how to permanently remove the review option (turn off) as I really do not need this.

Also, I have the problem with the score being recorded in the grade report, this is occuring only with IE 9.

Thank you very much.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Salim Šabić

Re: SCORM quiz Review mode

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Salim,
take a look at Review mode is potentially a big issue in real life tracked items delivering: both AICC and SCORM packages are covered by the proposal at MDL-21353, still valid for 1.9.12 with a code rebasing or manual patching.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Salim Šabić -

Thank you, this maybe it, but sadly I have never patchet something, so I am pretty caucious about this, is there any files (.php) allready patched or some kind of script that run this by auto?

Thank you again.

In reply to Salim Šabić

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Salim,
please provide me your exact Moodle 1.9.12 version (Administration > Notifications > Footer) and in the next days I'll post a simplified version of my proposal, just the player.php file w/o settings.

Matteo

by Salim Šabić -

Hi Matteo,

this is the Moodle installation: Moodle 1.9.12+ (Build: 20110708)

Can you please send or upload the file, it is really urgent.

Thank you once again.

In reply to Salim Šabić

by Matteo Scaramuccia -

Hi Salim,
to save me to spend a bit more of my spare time on testing a patched file, find below the steps you must cover to reach the supposed goal, being the quickest way:

1. Locate the mod/scorm folder of your Moodle instance;
  2. Create a backup copy of your current player.php file;
  3. Open the player.php file with a text editor;
  4. Locate these lines below:
        if (($mode == 'browse') && ($scorm->hidebrowse == 1)) {
           $mode = 'normal';
        }
        if ($mode != 'browse') {
            if ($trackdata = scorm_get_tracks($sco->id,$USER->id,$attempt)) {
                if (($trackdata->status == 'completed') || ($trackdata->status == 'passed') || ($trackdata->status == 'failed')) {
                    $mode = 'review';
                } else {
                    $mode = 'normal';
                }
            } else {
                $mode = 'normal';
            }
        }
  5. Change them to read:
        if (($mode == 'browse') && ($scorm->hidebrowse == 1)) {
    $mode = 'normal';
    }
        if ($mode != 'browse') {
            $mode = 'normal';
        }

6. Save the modified player.php file;
  7. Give your new Moodle SCORM Player a try.

HTH,
Matteo

P.S.: for those readers playing with git, here is my newbie experience to locate proper changes around Moodle 1.9.12+ (Build: 20110708):

$ git log --since="3 weeks ago" version.php

commit 4d3c6ac7d39f4fc52a7ac3002421278bc594172a
Author: Petr Skoda <commits@skodak.org>
Date:   Tue Jul 26 11:04:59 2011 +0200

weekly release 1.9.12+

commit 6bbf934a3e887011ebb2ca0a47c290bf3620cc28
Author: Petr Skoda <commits@skodak.org>
Date:   Tue Jul 19 15:20:19 2011 +0200

weekly release 1.9.12+

commit 215e7a00a22b520a86becfed2ea0f4c97aad156c
Author: Sam Hemelryk <sam@moodle.com>
Date:   Wed Jul 13 20:26:00 2011 +0800

weekly release 1.9.12+

commit 85c123b5b19bdfc66b4f1601e062194cd1ae8764
Author: Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) <stronk7@moodle.org>
Date:   Fri Jul 8 11:23:51 2011 +0200

weekly release 1.9.12+

$ git diff 85c123b5b19bdfc..4d3c6ac7d39 version.php
diff --git a/version.php b/version.php
index 6394797..857778f 100644
--- a/version.php
+++ b/version.php
@@ -10,6 +10,6 @@
                               //         X     = release number 1.9.[0,1,2,3,4,5...]
                               //          Y.YY = micro-increments between releases

-    $release = '1.9.12+ (Build: 20110708)';     // Human-friendly version name
+    $release = '1.9.12+ (Build: 20110726)';     // Human-friendly version name

?>

$ git diff 85c123b5b19bdfc..4d3c6ac7d39 mod/scorm/player.php

or, shortly:

$ git log --since="3 weeks ago" mod/scorm/player.php

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Salim Šabić -

Yes. It works.

This is fantastic.

Thank you very much. But I did not understand, is this a Moodle bug or? Why the Moodle HQ don't fix this?

Thank you again.

Regards

In reply to Salim Šabić

by Matteo Scaramuccia -

Hi Salim,
glad to see that it worked as expected!

It's a feature but, as explained in the Tracker, it could be enhanced giving the administrator the possibility to allow such a behaviour: there are pro and cons, just a bit of tuning is required to make it running better.

Remember that the goal of Moodle is larger than just deliverying AICC/SCORM packages and it always requires use cases to let Moodle understand the reasons for a Change Request: drop some lines to explain yours into the Tracker or just quote the URL of this thread.

Matteo

by Salim Šabić -

Thank you very much.

This helped me in deed.

I'll put my explanation in the Tracker.

In reply to Salim Šabić

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

as Matteo mentions - it's not a bug with Moodle's SCORM player - it's really a problem with your SCORM package.

but - we've added a new feature in 2.0 that allows you to disable review mode so you can better control it - this feature requires changes to the db structure so cannot be backported to 1.9Stable and is only available in 2.0 or higher.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Salim Šabić -

I am not sure if the problem is in my SCORM packages, as they workeg like a charm on the old Moodle 1.9.2.

There is a slight chance that the error has been caused by the upgrade.

The case is, I did not just upgrade from 1.9.2.  to 1.9.12., but also we did a migration from a old to a new Server and then did the upgrade. Maybe this could case the troubles. But I truly don't see why and how this could happen.

Anyway, thank you all very much, once again Community saves the day. smile

In reply to Salim Šabić

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Important to state that there are a bunch of new settings in 2.0 that allow you to control this better.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Micky Fokken -

Do I understand this thread correctly?  Does this patch automatically start the SCORM in a New Attempt every time?

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Matteo Scaramuccia -

Hi Micky,
no, the aim of this patch is to remove the Moodle behaviour about imposing review mode (which is part of SCORM specs) before entering in a SCO previously "completed" (i.e. in a completion state: completed or passed or failed) while the Tracker old patch gives the administrator the possibility to fully control such a behavior w/o any code change (enabled - default -, disabled).

FYI: review mode prevents Mastery Score to change the final SCO status according with the given score, breaking the expected tracking experience from a learning point of view.

In 2.x you have new AICC/SCORM activity settings:

• Force completed
  • Force new attempt
  • Lock after final attempt

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Andrea LaPlume -

Hi Dan,

I am using Moodle 2.0 and am interested to know what settings have changed to have my course not show the "Review Mode" at the top of the course. 

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrea